Welcome to the Reel Boating Forum.
From Trailer Boaters to Captains to Marine Industry Professionals, the Reel Boating Forum welcomes you to join in with other boaters and fishermen discussing topics including sportfishing, marine electronics, boating safety, boat engines and more.
Use our FREE boat classifieds to sell your boat or fishing gear.
Marine Industry Vendors are also welcome to register a username and freely post their products or services

Large flat screen TV help

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Chris, see e-mail sent to your business website, if you have any questions, contact me at the cell# I PM'd you earlier.

Capt Rick, no offense but I go by the old saying "you get what you pay for". Very similiar to boating, Vizio cuts sooo many corners during the manufacturing process that it's not funny. I can take the back of of a vizio, and a sony within same specs, and it would be obvious which one you should buy.

David Williams

A/V Solutions

Samsung 1080P LCD for the win. I work with televisions and televisions only on a daily basis. I can say without a doubt that Samsung is a safe bet. I would also 2nd Mr. Williams comment on the warranty/service plans offered by most retailers on these televisions. Hope you never need one but they are invaluable on a "large ticket" item such as a television. Sony is nice BUT IMO Sony is just another 4 letter word with a hefty price tag to boot. One last note, online retailers are great for rock bottom prices but it's typically better to have a physical location to go into if you need any assistance after the sale.

Happy Hunting,

PD

I have "THREE" VIZIO units in my house from Costso. From 42" down to 15",,,,,,and would buy another one! I think they are made in the USA! Compare the price.

We just got a new 55" Visio. It's an LED - LCD 240Hz. The picture is amazing. A little pricy as it's their latest top of the line model, but it's what the boss wanted. We have only had it a few weeks, but like it so far.

Like stated earlier, Sony and samsung Are the top two brands. I personally like the video processing on the Sony sets somewhat better. We have had some repair issues on samsung in the past year, nothing too major, but something that could of been avoided. You will not go wrong with either brand.

Chris,

depending on how far you are from Miami, my distributor may be able to ship/deliver to you. Also if you find another make/model you like let me know and I will get you a price.

David

The 42" Vizio is four years old with no problems so far. Costco sells a ton of'em. Ive got a buddy that works there and he told me that they are great TV's that are not overpriced.

Here is a great place to get a price on a TV. All of the Pro photographers get there equipment from there...

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/search?Ntt=Sony+TV&N=0&InitialSearch=yes

Edited by Capt Rick Hiott

No I do not, I repair alot of them though. Last November we went to pick up some tvs for repair from SAMs club, and they had 49 to send back to vizio. My opinions mainly come from a repair standpoint, you need to support the prduct with parts being available after the first year. They are a fairly new company an maybe one day my opinion will change.

David

Ok after much research and reading all of you guys input, David especially. I went with the Sony 52V5100. This is an LCD, 120 Hz, 1080p unit. The picture quality is outstanding, especially compared to my 6 year old Magnavox rear projection HDTV.

I spent about an hour at Best Buy picking it out. I went back and forth between the Samsung, Toshiba, Panasonic and Sony. It just seemed like the Sony had everything I wanted at the right price ($1499.00).

Picking out the TV was easy, finding just the right base was a nightmare. Best Buy had hardly any of them in stock and I wasn't about to wait 4-5 working days to watch this TV. I am impulsive, I know I could have saved a few hundred bucks on the TV by shopping around but once I saw the thing up close that was it.

So I had to buy the TV without the base and go home and get on the internet to find one. Low and behold Best Buy had the perfect base but not at the location where I bought the TV. I had to drive to another location about 30 miles away for the base. But it was worth it.

Pics to follow....