Welcome to the Reel Boating Forum.
From Trailer Boaters to Captains to Marine Industry Professionals, the Reel Boating Forum welcomes you to join in with other boaters and fishermen discussing topics including sportfishing, marine electronics, boating safety, boat engines and more.
Use our FREE boat classifieds to sell your boat or fishing gear.
Marine Industry Vendors are also welcome to register a username and freely post their products or services

"New" Boat Defects

Chisox

Gentlemen, and Ladies,

I'm sure most of you have noticed the thread on the other site about the guy who had a quarter sized "defect" in his non-skid on the foredeck, and it has morphed into 3 pages of whatever, opinions, rants, explanations, etc.

You guys know who I work for, you also know that I've worked for several major builders over the last 15 years, therefore this type of defect, albeit not fun to deal with, is also part of the "process", due to the human element of boat building.

Wiley, Ludicrous, Auguste, ScarabChris, Welder, Blue Bayou, etc., what would you guys think if you took possession of your new boat and found a defect in the deck/hull? I remember when I took delivery of my '87 Maxima and, at 1800 miles, noticed a slight slipping in the tranny at about 70-75 MPH (yeah, I used to speed back then!). Took it back to Reed Nissan in Orlando, and it was found that some "plate" in the tranny was installed backwards from the tranny supplier in Japan (say all you want...) and the result was a new tranny at God knows what their cost.

I know you guys are members over there, and have seen this thread. What do you think?

BTW, just had to post on Reel Boating's new format...Totally Cool!

Bob C

M.E.K.,

One of the neat things about this new software is that, if you look below my Avatar, you'll most likely see who I work for..

And in the past, Wellcraft, Hydra-Sports, Intrepid, and Stamas...

Edited by 250 Osprey

Cool! What years did you work for intrepid?

'99-'00. If you would care to ask me about Intrepid, I would feel more comfortable responding "off the record"...and I'll leave it at that... :wacko:

And, yes, Welder, I am the sole production engineer at Proline. The economic conditions that we are in has necessitated a significant down sizing in the engineering dept...which leaves me.

Edited by 250 Osprey

I've never owned a boat that did not need a little touch up at the manufacturer's expense. I have always been pleased that the mfgs were willing to step up and cover all of the costs. People who work with fiberglass have forgotten more about it than I would ever know, so I would always take the advice of a pro or two and proceed with repairs as recommended.

I have been fortunate, that I have never had a boat turn out less than perfect after the repairs, but I have always purchased used boats. If faced with that situation, and there was no way to return the boat to new condition, I would be inclined to ask the mfg to exchange the boat for another.

I think its just a sign of the type of customers and the world wide web. I own a few boats. owned a SF boat company. I am retired now from my real job. and do repairs on friends boats for fun,$$ sometimes $$.Friends I fish with and I usually dont charge them. I was fixing some gaff marks {Lotsa Big eye tunas this year} on my friends 42 henriques and I found gelcoat air in one of the cockpit hatch gutters. They offered to send someone down. I said just give me some factory gelcoat and it will make my job easier. What a well constructed boat that some human being decided he didnt need to get all the air out between the gelcot and skin coat that day. One hatch gutter out of many boats is nothing. 250 dont worry. theres always going to be someone somewhere that isnt happy nomatter how many things you do right.