Welcome to the Reel Boating Forum.
From Trailer Boaters to Captains to Marine Industry Professionals, the Reel Boating Forum welcomes you to join in with other boaters and fishermen discussing topics including sportfishing, marine electronics, boating safety, boat engines and more.
Use our FREE boat classifieds to sell your boat or fishing gear.
Marine Industry Vendors are also welcome to register a username and freely post their products or services

Stain removers for upholstery

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You shouldn't put bleach on boat upholstery,,it eats up the stitching and then it falls apart.

BS, maybe stitching that was done 10 years ago. I do it all the time.

You can use bleach as long as you rinse it off thoroughly. Bleach, in concentration breaks down fabrics over a fairly short period of time. If you use it, I would just be sure to rinse all of the bleach off completely. Personally, I would only use it as a last resort when all else fails.

We carry a product called "New Wave" by Ardex it's not only good for upholstery but all surfaces. It is very concentrated so a quart goes a LONG way. Please visit www.boatoys.com or call 203-804-6611.

As far as stitching goes: bleach is just fine if the threads are not "chinsey" most current day threads can handle a diluted version of bleach.

• 2 weeks later...

Okay...so bleach didn't do a thing..... :471_confused_face:

We have to treat "squid juice" as an organic compound that, over time, has some permanance that develops. That being said, have you tried any of the Oxygen based cleaners, with the hope that something will react with something else and somehow get it off? Yeah, I thought so...

So what do the seasoned captains on the sportfishing forums do to get their squid ink off their vinyl? Or do they just eschew upholstery and tell you to sit on a worn teak bench? :1121_wink:

So what do the seasoned captains on the sportfishing forums do to get their squid ink off their vinyl

Well, I'm fairly seasoned, been running sport fishing boats for over 40 years. It's simple. What we do is never let squid juice and blood dry on the boat. We clean the boat continuously during the days fishing with a brush and water, part of the mates job is to keep the boat clean. Then at the end of every day the boat is scrubbed from flybridge to waterline with a mixture of clorox and dish detergent. About 2 cups of Clorox (not the no-name bleaches) and a good squirt of liquid Dawn in a half bucket of water. Scrub it good with a brush, let it sit about 20 minutes then rinse it off good. My boats used to fish 300 days a year, got washed with Clorox and Dawn 300 days a year, never had rotten cushions or stitching from the bleach.

Once squid ink dries in the sun for a few days, I got no idea how to get it off. Sandblaster maybe :504_shrugging:

So what do the seasoned captains on the sportfishing forums do to get their squid ink off their vinyl

Well, I'm fairly seasoned, been running sport fishing boats for over 40 years. It's simple. What we do is never let squid juice and blood dry on the boat. We clean the boat continuously during the days fishing with a brush and water, part of the mates job is to keep the boat clean. Then at the end of every day the boat is scrubbed from flybridge to waterline with a mixture of clorox and dish detergent. About 2 cups of Clorox (not the no-name bleaches) and a good squirt of liquid Dawn in a half bucket of water. Scrub it good with a brush, let it sit about 20 minutes then rinse it off good. My boats used to fish 300 days a year, got washed with Clorox and Dawn 300 days a year, never had rotten cushions or stitching from the bleach.

Once squid ink dries in the sun for a few days, I got no idea how to get it off. Sandblaster maybe :504_shrugging:

For the recreational guys, using the combination of Dawn/Clorox or either of them by themselves on gelcoat will strip your wax right off so only boat soap on the gel areas. We fish for swordfish at night so it's hard to keep track of the people on my boat and what mess they make, especially when it's dark.

• 2 months later...

i found a product at either family dollar or dollar general stores that is called "awesome". it cost $1.00 a bottle and it works on lots of things. i have used it on cloth furniture but please test for color fast first. it really is an awesome product and it won't break the bank. if it works for you come back to this forum and let us know.