Welcome to the Reel Boating Forum.
From Trailer Boaters to Captains to Marine Industry Professionals, the Reel Boating Forum welcomes you to join in with other boaters and fishermen discussing topics including sportfishing, marine electronics, boating safety, boat engines and more.
Use our FREE boat classifieds to sell your boat or fishing gear.
Marine Industry Vendors are also welcome to register a username and freely post their products or services

Florida Home Owners Insurance

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Here is the thing. If you got your insurance through a local agent you should have no problems because most SF agents are also agents for other insurance companies. So in order not to lose your business they will most likely get you insured with no further action from you. You may just recieve a policy to agree on and sign.

Like Chris said, but beware there are a lot of smaller Ins Co. coming to FL to do buss. These companies are buying up policies by the thousands and they are a nightmare to get them to settle small claims.. I do not want to see what will happen when they have large losses, like a HURRICANE... Try and get coverage through Citizens.... I deal with Ins co every day and they are the best thing thats available when it comes to settling claims...

Also, if you havent done so already have a wind mitigation and a 4 point inspection on your home and if your home qualifies you will receive HUGE deductions on your premium...

Good Luck.....

We were able to get ins through the agent out in the Farms (we live in the Farms) and were able to get a good rate. I think they are an Allstate agent, but were able to write a policy with a company called Royal Palm. The big advantage for us was being able to have the wind mitigation inspection and our neighbor certified his pond as a secondary water source which is almost the equivalent of having a fire hydrant within 1000 ft. If you live in town, you may have other options. We don't have many options out here in the Farms. PM me if you want more details.

Well in light of State Farm dropping all of us here in Florida eventually... I was wondering who everyone has for Florida Home Owners Insurance?

Any Comments or experiences good or bad with your Florida Home Owner's will be appreciated...

Thank you in advance!!!

:605_thumbs_up:

I live on the Left Coast-CA. I would advise anyone that has a major property loss to hire a Public Insurance Adjuster.. There are good and bad ones. Do your homework. I spent twenty five years working for insurance companys. Went over to the dark side and was able to get larger settlements for our clients than they could get doing it alone. In most cases we knew the coverage better than the insurance company adjusters. We were also seccussesful in getting several settlements larger than the policy limits. Right now we are fighting for our rights to fish. You guy are lucky not to have all the enviros and tree huggers. Sometimes we think you send yours on a one way trip out here.

Since 2004 very few carriers have been writing any business, except ones where you try to find out their ratings and find they don't have Moodys or Standard and Poors ratings only ratings by someone called (Domotec??). My first Domotec rated company (rated as their highest class) was POE insurance. POEs companies went belly up (even without large claims from hurricanes) and were taken over by Citizens so my coverages were with Citizens till my policy was TAKEN OUT and transferred to American Integrity Insurance. They (AII) now writes both my HO3 and wind policy for property in Cape Coral. I did have a claim with them for a burst pipe and was very satisfied with their claims service, but the overall financial stability given they are a new carrier still worries me that they are taking on too much risk in to short a time period.

If you are a retired or active military try USAA. If you have a working farm try Farm Bureau. Most other National companies won't give you the time of day.

Luckily(??) Citizens does have the authorization to write basic homeowners insurance (like HO 3) coverages as well as Wind (hurricane) so find a good Independent agent and hope for the best though you will probably get stuck with whomever is willing to accept you as a risk.

PS in the Keys I have Fidelity and Citizens. :rolleyes:

I FORGOT.

If you have State Farm as your auto carrier, CANCEL THEM when they cancel you! I've a feeling since our insurance commissioner is too chicken to kick them out for cherry picking what insurance types to write, if all the poeple in Fl who have State Farm for Auto Coverage told them to get lost they might be willing to stick around.

If you have State Farm as your auto carrier, CANCEL THEM when they cancel you! I've a feeling since our insurance commissioner is too chicken to kick them out for cherry picking what insurance types to write, if all the poeple in Fl who have State Farm for Auto Coverage told them to get lost they might be willing to stick around.

Amen to that! When my former company (ANPAC) decided to pull out of writing homeowners policies and cancelled all existing ones in Florida, they sent me a letter saying "Don't worry... we're still insuring your vehicles and RV just like we have for X years." I wrote back "Oh, no you're not. Cancel them immediately. You've got no loyalty to me, so I don't see any reason why I should have any toward you."

I switched all my insurance needs to Travelers. Very competitive rates, good customer service. Fortunately, I haven't had to make any claims (and hope I never do).