Welcome to the Reel Boating Forum.
From Trailer Boaters to Captains to Marine Industry Professionals, the Reel Boating Forum welcomes you to join in with other boaters and fishermen discussing topics including sportfishing, marine electronics, boating safety, boat engines and more.
Use our FREE boat classifieds to sell your boat or fishing gear.
Marine Industry Vendors are also welcome to register a username and freely post their products or services

"SPOT" Emergency Locator

I have had one for a year and unlike my epirb I use it all the time. I got it for non life threatening events. I boat in Alaska and am often out of cell coverage. If the weather turns while I am 50 miles from port I send my wife an OK message and she knows where I am and assumes I am OK and will be staying put until the weather gets better. This helps ensure there is no search started because of weather delays. I always have a weeks worth of suplies when going out. I also ask my son to send messages throughout the day when he takes my boat out and I am stuck at work. It is nice to know all is well.

If I have a non life threatening emergency the need help button allows my wife to know where I am and that I need her to call sea tow or a buddy. So far I haven't needed to use it. I have 2 other boating buddies on my list. Seeing my location allows some idea of the help needed. If I am in a protected cove they know I am broke down but OK for a day or so. If I am in the middle of nowhere send someone quick.

In the event I use 911 I have a second recovery option.

I also use it when hiking, camping or road trips. Having a way to let my wife know all is well allows her to relax. When she is relaxed I get to stay longer and more often

I like the spot.

It is a great tool to add to your arsenal if you are often out cell coverage.

I sent this from a blackberry so my typing and spelling may be crap.

I bought a Spot in January and tried it out in the Sanibel/Captiva area in February. I works great.

It basically has three functions:

--Check OK--Sends a signal to the satellite which in turn sends an email and/or a text message to up to 10 people you have programmed in on the website. The message includes your lat long. If you get the email, you can click on the lat long icon and it will pull up Google Maps and show your location. And it is very precise. When I tried it from home the first time, my buddy was able to tell that I was in the back yard as opposed to in front.

--Tracking Mode--sends the same email/message as above every 10 minutes until deactivated.

--911--Sends the same email/message as above with the message need immediate help. At this point, the company (a human being as I understand it) contacts the nearest emergency responder to your location (coast guard or land based rescue), gives them the message that you are in distress and at X location. Of course, I did not try this function as it is the same as a 911 call and can result in charges for false alarms.

There was a thread on THaT other forum in which a CG air rescue pilot chimed in. He said the big difference with an epirb is that CG can directly tract a 406 epirb signal, whereas the spot gives only a location at a particular time.

I'd say if those NFL guys had had a spot, it would have saved their lives.

They sure have a good ad campaign. I have seen posts on every boating forum on the net about the product. Most are trollers and spammers.

I am NOT saying this post is spam !! This is a good post with objective views.

I think as a back up to an EPIRB or PLB it would be fine but definitely not first line safety defense.

I agree.

It is not QUITE as good as an epirb, but the ability to send your exact coordinates to up to 10 people with the message "I'm OK" or "I need help" , along with the ability to initiate contact with CG with your exact location I think is quite valuable. And for the price it is a no-brainer.

Especially for the casual boater who is not going to buy an epirb.

Anything that can get you in contact with someone is a GOOD thing but my 1st line of defense is my EPIRB.

The spot can also be used anywhere , Hiking , Car travel , your Kids traveling , Hide it in the wife's car to see where she goofs off all day [ LOL ] and more.

The SPOT is a tool .