Welcome to the Reel Boating Forum.
From Trailer Boaters to Captains to Marine Industry Professionals, the Reel Boating Forum welcomes you to join in with other boaters and fishermen discussing topics including sportfishing, marine electronics, boating safety, boat engines and more.
Use our FREE boat classifieds to sell your boat or fishing gear.
Marine Industry Vendors are also welcome to register a username and freely post their products or services

Trailering to Florida

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If your Visiting another state with your truck and trailer , your cool as long as your truck and trailer are LEGAL in your home state.

I'm not trying to bash you. However, that is not entirely true. Each state has different laws concerning what is legal if you are out of state. MOST states require you to be with-in the law of THEIR laws if you are trailing on their roads regardless of where your home state is and what laws they have. A good example is if you have a kid and he rides in a car seat in some states it is against the law to put the seat in the front seat. However if you go into the state next door and it is OK for them to be upfront in the car seat and the next mile you go into a new state that has a law against front seat car seats the FUZZ has the right to give you a ticket because it is against their laws.

The best rule of thumb however is to ALWAYS be WELL with-in the law no matter where you go!

TO THE ORIGINAL POSTER:

Your truck is fine just service your trailer before you go and carry two spare tires, two sets of bearings for EACH axle, and plenty of blocks and even a couple pieces of big plywood to put down if you pull over on a soft side road and it gets stuck. Triple back ups are the rule of thumb. Ofcourse bring all the tools you can pack including an air tank full of air. On my trips I brink the above plus an air compressor that is hooked up to a generator I keep in the bed. This allows me to use my air tools and electric tools that make life a whole lot easier.

If you do the above you will be fine. Just take your time and keep plenty of distance away from the vehicle in front of you and you will be fine.

Good luck and God speed!

I'm not trying to bash you. However, that is not entirely true. Each state has different laws concerning what is legal if you are out of state. MOST states require you to be with-in the law of THEIR laws if you are trailing on their roads regardless of where your home state is and what laws they have. A good example is if you have a kid and he rides in a car seat in some states it is against the law to put the seat in the front seat. However if you go into the state next door and it is OK for them to be upfront in the car seat and the next mile you go into a new state that has a law against front seat car seats the FUZZ has the right to give you a ticket because it is against their laws.

The best rule of thumb however is to ALWAYS be WELL with-in the law no matter where you go!

TO THE ORIGINAL POSTER:

Your truck is fine just service your trailer before you go and carry two spare tires, two sets of bearings for EACH axle, and plenty of blocks and even a couple pieces of big plywood to put down if you pull over on a soft side road and it gets stuck. Triple back ups are the rule of thumb. Ofcourse bring all the tools you can pack including an air tank full of air. On my trips I brink the above plus an air compressor that is hooked up to a generator I keep in the bed. This allows me to use my air tools and electric tools that make life a whole lot easier.

If you do the above you will be fine. Just take your time and keep plenty of distance away from the vehicle in front of you and you will be fine.

Good luck and God speed!

Blue , your cool , I have no problem with more civil in put .

I guess I should have stated , As long as your not over width or length and all systems are functioning properly.

You should see the looks I get when boating in other states waters [ Lots of head turning by the PoPo ] but I haven't been stopped yet [ Out of Texas ] on the water or the Hwy.

I'm 9'-0" wide on the trailer and I run Tx. to Fl.

I have found that if one drives like a good guy and all your equipment works there is never a problem.

Now, like said above , bring tools, blocks, air if ya have it or a small compressor and parts.

One of the things I do before a long trip is remove one lug nut at a time and grease the threads . This also makes sure I can change a tire with my tools while on the road .

I am considering trailering my boat to Florida this winter. My truck is an F-250 and my boat is a Boston Whaler 23 Walkaround. The overall length is 27' . My trailer is three years old . Everything works, brakes, lights etc. Am I reaching hauling this boat for the distance ? I would rather use my own boat instead of renting one while we are there. Thanks. We are going from Cape Cod.

Seems to me the unstated question in your post is "Am I an idiot for insisting on pulling my own boat that far when it will cost a ton in gas money and I could rent a boat or hire a guide?"

Answer: Hell no. I've been doing it for years (and of course, I am not an idiot. Not a real bad idiot anyway) to many locations in Florida including the Keys. I just like using my own boat.

And, btw, I am currently pulling a 23' Seacat with a V10 Excursion, which I would imagine is similar to your situation. The haul is no sweat.

If your Visiting another state with your truck and trailer , your cool as long as your truck and trailer are LEGAL in your home state.

FL has no exclusion.

The 2009 Florida Statutes

Title XXIII

MOTOR VEHICLES Chapter 316

STATE UNIFORM TRAFFIC CONTROL View Entire Chapter

316.261 Brake equipment required.--Every motor vehicle, trailer, semitrailer, and pole trailer, and any combination of such vehicles, operating upon a highway within this state shall be equipped with brakes in compliance with the requirements of this chapter.

Caveman,

I am the original poster. Your unstated question is correct. Like you I would rather run my own boat. I rented a 26 Triton while in the Keys. The cost for the week was about two thousand dollars. That included fuel for the boat. The rental had been used pretty hard. When delivered it had not been cleaned, the live wells stank to high heaven. I keep my boat spotless. After fishing I make sure the boat is clean and then I check out the systems to make sure everything is set for my next day on the water. What kind of mileage do you get hauling with the V10 ? Thanks.