Welcome to the Reel Boating Forum.
From Trailer Boaters to Captains to Marine Industry Professionals, the Reel Boating Forum welcomes you to join in with other boaters and fishermen discussing topics including sportfishing, marine electronics, boating safety, boat engines and more.
Use our FREE boat classifieds to sell your boat or fishing gear.
Marine Industry Vendors are also welcome to register a username and freely post their products or services

Trailering to Florida

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am considering trailering my boat to Florida this winter. My truck is an F-250 and my boat is a Boston Whaler 23 Walkaround. The overall length is 27' . My trailer is three years old . Everything works, brakes, lights etc. Am I reaching hauling this boat for the distance ? I would rather use my own boat instead of renting one while we are there. Thanks. We are going from Cape Cod.

Be aware that FL has a law requiring brakes on all axles for trailers (including the load) over 3,000 pounds. Many ignore this and some are ticketed, particularly in the Keys.

I've trailered a 30' Grady Marlin with my F250 diesel, no issues. Good advice from the other posters - make sure the trailer is worthy of the trip.

• 2 weeks later...

Pulled our Edgewater 245cc to Florida and back a couple weeks ago with my Ram 2500, 4wd, Cummins diesel. No problems at all, pack your trailer wheel bearings and check/replace the grease seals before you go. Before the return pump new grease into the bearings and check for contamination. Continue pumping new grease in until the grease looks good.

Check the trailer hubs at every stop, as others say - they should be barely warm to the touch. Carry a spare tire.

Oh, and check the lights and wiring from the truck to trailer. I spent 3 hours getting the running lights working in an Atlanta parking lot.....

Check the trailer hubs at every stop, as others say - they should be barely warm to the touch.....

... a handy way to check the hubs is with a Raytek infrared temperature sensor. One of my best tools for finding little problems before they become big problems ... on the trailer or on the truck.

post-1596-1257823051.jpg

Shoot the hubs at every pitstop and watch for any significant changes. Have a great trip!