Welcome to the Reel Boating Forum.
From Trailer Boaters to Captains to Marine Industry Professionals, the Reel Boating Forum welcomes you to join in with other boaters and fishermen discussing topics including sportfishing, marine electronics, boating safety, boat engines and more.
Use our FREE boat classifieds to sell your boat or fishing gear.
Marine Industry Vendors are also welcome to register a username and freely post their products or services

2009 Boating / Fishing goals

I want my 5 year old to start fishing like a pro. He ripped it up last year with his Superman Zebco rod and even pulled in a few pretty decent sized blues (4-5 pouds) which almost pulled him off the dock. And one Bass. The Snappers had no chance.

But my real goal is just to use the boat... New baby is due Mid-May. Nothing kills boating faster.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Catch a darn Mako this year.

Hopefully introduce my son to fishing - he is only 4 and I think he may still be a bit too young.

Yo RI.. I though the same thing. Get him The Zebco POS that you see at wallmart. They have Spidey, Superman etc..

Just add a Bobber to the end w/ no hook and let him cast around the yard, off the dock, anything. Worst case scenario you get hit in the head with a bobber. I used a sytrofoam one, not the plastic. My son and I had a blast just trying to get the bobber into the kiddy pool we had in the yard.

Within a really short time he was casting it himself a good 30 feet. Accuracy was suspect, but by the end of the summer I could let him cast off the pier between boats and not worry about it

Boating goal, not to end up on the local or national news.

:P :P :P

Yeah, that's a start!

So the wife got really turned on last year...wait that didn't sound right!! Umm, really enjoyed our offshore trips and bringing some meat over the side. We are trying for some lightweight flats fishing, macks, big trout, etc. Would like to pick up on some kingfish tips and see how we do. Thank you Santa....

I didn't have a real active fishing year in 2008. We went out and did some new stuff.....more bottom bumping for sure. I recently bought an Accurate 30 and plan on seeing if I can snag some hoos and phins on a monster spinner in 2009. I do plan on mixing it up this year with bottom bumping after a day at the stream. Our normal trips start at 3:30am, we run 100 miles and fish the stream until we pick up and run home....normally hitting the dock after 7pm. This year I will exit the stream earlier and stop a few times on the way home to grab some bottom fish. Breaking the 2 to 2 1/2 hour run home will make the trip less exhausting.

The bottom line is I will be elated to get out on the water this year given my major screwup in Nov when I shattered my heel bone. I can not remember a time when I didn't see a boat or do some fishing for 4 straight months. It's been a long recovery and I imagine my first trip will be exhilarating.

Good luck guys.

A few more thoughts.....

I plan on going back to using planers more often than using the downriggers.

I am considering swapping out my gunnel outriggers with t-top outriggers....I friggin hate gunnel outriggers.

I plan on doing a heck of a lot more high speed trolling to scare up the hoos ... we have rarely done the high speed stuff in the past.

Given my physical issues, I will be more selective on the days I go offshore......bluebird days for the stream or I will call off the longball strategy and hunt cobs closer in on the bad days.

I barely saw my boat in the last year. I am making progress though. I am in the process of valve jobs for both my engines along with some overdue maintenance. Things are starting to come together. I also obtained my captain's license and have some plans to put that to use. Nothing that is going to have me changing careers, but I think there is a niche market that will help pay the bills a little bit.

My big boating event is in June. I have a house in the Keys rented for the month and will be heading down there for some family fun time along with some hard core fishing trips. My daughters are old enough to snorkle now, so that is part of the plan. It will be nice to use the boat for a change!