Welcome to the Reel Boating Forum.
From Trailer Boaters to Captains to Marine Industry Professionals, the Reel Boating Forum welcomes you to join in with other boaters and fishermen discussing topics including sportfishing, marine electronics, boating safety, boat engines and more.
Use our FREE boat classifieds to sell your boat or fishing gear.
Marine Industry Vendors are also welcome to register a username and freely post their products or services

Trade in Advice

TooReel

Time for a new boat. One came available that it perfect for me and I have a offer in. Problem is my trade in.

Current boat is a 2004 Trophy with a 225 Mercaha 4 stroke that is in very good condition. Boat has all the bells and whistles. Outriggers, electronics, fresh and saltwater washdowns, potti, colored hull sides etc. Plus it has a 2007 aluminum trailer with torsion axles. They are offering me 15K for it as a trade.

Should I sell it myself or take the money and run?

Time for a new boat. One came available that it perfect for me and I have a offer in. Problem is my trade in.

Current boat is a 2004 Trophy with a 225 Mercaha 4 stroke that is in very good condition. Boat has all the bells and whistles. Outriggers, electronics, fresh and saltwater washdowns, potti, colored hull sides etc. Plus it has a 2007 aluminum trailer with torsion axles. They are offering me 15K for it as a trade.

Should I sell it myself or take the money and run?

Depends on how bad you want a new boat. What do you think the 04' Trophy is worth? Even if you were to sell it yourself for 15k, you may be in a better position to wheel and deal on the new boat. My guess is the dealer would cut you a better deal if no trade in was involved. Hard to say.

I recently helped a buddy pick up a 2003 ProLine 20' DC, '03 Mercury 150, '03 EZ Loader trailer few electronics for $8800. The overall condition of the boat was good to very good. It had been for sale for $10,500 for about three weeks before we made the offer.

I just sold my '02 KeyWest 2020DC, '02 Yamaha 150 2 stroke 140 hrs, '02 Performance trailer and all electronics for $14k.

The prices for some used boats are pretty low right now.

I'm not in a big hurry to get a new boat but I am ready to buy if the price and boat is right. Wife and I both think the Sailfish 2360 is perfect for what we do. Nice seating and comforts for her, good fishing for me and twins so I can feel a little better offshore. I'd like a little bigger but my canal and docking situation would make that difficult but not impossible.

Dealer has declined my offer and says they will not budge off the price, trade or not. I think the price could be better. This boat only has twin 115's, trailer is extra and the electronics were removed. Add the 2500 they want for the trailer and another 2500 for electronics and the price is up to 44,900. There are two comparable boats in the Trader, both with 150's, trailer and electronics for 44,900 and 48,900. I'm pretty sure a better deal could be had on all the boats.

I'm not in a big hurry to get a new boat but I am ready to buy if the price and boat is right. Wife and I both think the Sailfish 2360 is perfect for what we do. Nice seating and comforts for her, good fishing for me and twins so I can feel a little better offshore. I'd like a little bigger but my canal and docking situation would make that difficult but not impossible.

Dealer has declined my offer and says they will not budge off the price, trade or not. I think the price could be better. This boat only has twin 115's, trailer is extra and the electronics were removed. Add the 2500 they want for the trailer and another 2500 for electronics and the price is up to 44,900. There are two comparable boats in the Trader, both with 150's, trailer and electronics for 44,900 and 48,900. I'm pretty sure a better deal could be had on all the boats.

I know what you mean about the twins. We are just a little south of you and we know what the run is like to get to any decent deeper weater. With our newer rig we wanted and got twins. With the four strokes they are within 1 mpg of the single 150 on my last KeyWest. Really efficient and the 115's have proven to be trouble free. I talked to one other member here who had a rig similar to the one you are looking at and has been really happy with it. Good luck, but if you can afford to play the waiting game a while I would. I don't know if you are dealing with Homosassa Marine, but we found them to have high prices and would not really negotiate...