Welcome to the Reel Boating Forum.
From Trailer Boaters to Captains to Marine Industry Professionals, the Reel Boating Forum welcomes you to join in with other boaters and fishermen discussing topics including sportfishing, marine electronics, boating safety, boat engines and more.
Use our FREE boat classifieds to sell your boat or fishing gear.
Marine Industry Vendors are also welcome to register a username and freely post their products or services

DD 871's...Whos Gottem'

Been looking at a few older Battle Wagons over the past several months and a 1979 Bertram 46 has work its way up on the short list...

The Bert is cosmetically pleasing and mechanically sound, majors were done on the 871 Naturals 1000 hours ago, engines had 3500 hours when majored

It seems rebuilding these 71 series are very cost effective versus repower

Let me know your personal experiences and non planned failure.

Been looking at a few older Battle Wagons over the past several months and a 1979 Bertram 46 has work its way up on the short list...

The Bert is cosmetically pleasing and mechanically sound, majors were done on the 871 Naturals 1000 hours ago, engines had 3500 hours when majored

It seems rebuilding these 71 series are very cost effective versus repower

DD871 are just OK motors. Naturals in a 46B will the slow boat to China. I would only consider the boat as a good hull for repower. I had the chance to buy one last year in perfect condition for only $100,000.00

The owner had the boat for sale for several years; but no one wanted 871 natural "Donkey Motors" at almost any price. He finally just let it go. The boat had new carpet, new cockpit deck, new AC, new enclousure, new electronics; and no one wanted her at $160,00 his asking.

I've captained two boats with Detroits. One had twin 871s. The one I'm on now has a 1271. They leak a lot. Not real fast. They run forever. Better suited for a work boat.

I owned and restord an older Bert 46 that had 871 turbos. During my ownership they were re-built (@4000 hrs or so) and we played with the timing, bigger injectors, larger water circ pump etc, and the mechanic thought we were about putting out 435 hp. With pristine bottom work, new props and a light load that boat would do 24 knots (after opening the bridge enclosure). Realistic cruise was 18 knots, less with full fuel, ice, water, family. It was a beautiful hull design, great ride, super layout, and I loved the boat. I wanted (needed) to go faster in order to maximize offshore and bahamas cruising trips during limited vacation and free time.

Today, there are over 115 of them for sale on Yachtworld, and many have been listed for a long, long time. I have followed the market somewhat, and would agree 100% with CB Haws above, that you would almost need to be given that boat in order to make it worthwhile. WHEN COMPARED TO WHAT ELSE YOU COULD BUY TODAY The boat with Naturals WILL be slow, and you'd need to plan on keeping it for almost forever. (it will probably last forever) With a full cruise load, full fishing gear, etc, it might even be somewhat dangerous in a big following sea without the ability to get up over the hump in some of the wave trains. Remember, that is an older boat, with older systems. Not only will you do an in-frame rebuild, but you're going to want to replace the 32V DC system, batts, chargers, heads, panels, plumbing, steering, controls, HVAC, pumps,and then all the DC lighting systems. Better off buying one that has already had a lot of that done, none of those restoration jobs are getting anywhere near 100% of their investment back.

On the other hand, if you are in a position to do almost all the work yourself, are on a budget, have a backyard slip to keep it in, and are drinking buddies with a DD mechanic, then for the right price you can't go wrong. You will end up with a battlewagon for cheap money that you'll feel good about forever. Also, the learning experience from the work you did will get you out of a lot of "situations".......

Great boats, but they would be awesome with some modern, lightweight CATs in there and all new 24 DC systems and electronics!

Edited by Tom L