Welcome to the Reel Boating Forum.
From Trailer Boaters to Captains to Marine Industry Professionals, the Reel Boating Forum welcomes you to join in with other boaters and fishermen discussing topics including sportfishing, marine electronics, boating safety, boat engines and more.
Use our FREE boat classifieds to sell your boat or fishing gear.
Marine Industry Vendors are also welcome to register a username and freely post their products or services

Slowing down 9.9 trolling kicker

I have a Suzuki 9.9 4 stroke, nearly new. Runs like a fine watch. Here's my trouble, at lowest idle, it still moves my boat too fast for a slow troll for trout. I looked at the std prop - it's the lowest pitch already 7". Is there anything else I could do to the motor to slow it down? My boat is a 20' North River Seahawk, not exactly a small boat for this motor. I suppose I could drag drift socks, but just more gear to setup.

Thanks for your suggestions

What about trimming the motor up until the prop is near the water surface and almost ventilating? That might change the angle of thrust enough to slow you down a bit. Just a guess since I've never had to deal with this.

Oh, and by the way, welcome to Reel Boating!

Edited by 165Striper

What about trimming the motor up until the prop is near the water surface and almost ventilating? That might change the angle of thrust enough to slow you down a bit. Just a guess since I've never had to deal with this.

Oh, and by the way, welcome to Reel Boating!

Wow, I bet that might do it - I'll try it out. Great suggestion, thanks

perhaps a trolling plate would be the ticket. I used to fish for deep water trout when I was in college, the guy who owned the boat we went on had one on his rig, just basically a plate that covers your prop wash to slow down the boat.

I was going to suggest the same thing. I've seen ads for them before but couldn't tell you where to get one. Maybe try to find some web sites that deal with the great lakes as I know they do slow troll up there.

Get a set of oars and row. I did my Trout trolling and fly fishing that way most of my life.

You can row a 20' as easy as a 16' and you'll like the quiet fishing much better.

Let it drift for a few seconds, them give the oars a big pull, and let them drop, because that's the time the Rainbow will hit and you better have a hand on the rod!