Welcome to the Reel Boating Forum.
From Trailer Boaters to Captains to Marine Industry Professionals, the Reel Boating Forum welcomes you to join in with other boaters and fishermen discussing topics including sportfishing, marine electronics, boating safety, boat engines and more.
Use our FREE boat classifieds to sell your boat or fishing gear.
Marine Industry Vendors are also welcome to register a username and freely post their products or services

HELP, Any Ideas?

Two weeks ago I installed a Yamaha mini-10 micro fuel/water separator on my 2003 Yamaha 70 hp, 2-stroke. Up to that point, it had been running great, never a problem starting or staying on. After I installed the filter, I ran the motor in my driveway (on muffs) for about 10 - 12 minutes..............everything ran fine. A week later, I took the boat to the coast, backed it into the water and started it but it would not stay running. I pulled the boat, disconnected the filter and reinstalled the old fuel line. Boat started up and stayed running. A few hours later I went to start it up and it would not start. After about a 1/2 hour, it started and ran fine. It ran for nearly 2 hours the next day with no problems. Thinking maybe some "junk" got in the fuel line and and everything was fine, I hooked the fuel filter back up (with a new filter) and started the boat. It would start but not stay on. I put the old fuel line back on and now I have the same problem. It won't stay running. My problem is that I am supposed to take the family back to the coast in a week and no one in this area can even look at it for at least 2 weeks. Is there anything I can try that might get it running better again? I am fairly mechanical so and Ideas would be appreciated.

Sorry this is so long, I just wanted to provide as much info as I could.

Thanks