Welcome to the Reel Boating Forum.
From Trailer Boaters to Captains to Marine Industry Professionals, the Reel Boating Forum welcomes you to join in with other boaters and fishermen discussing topics including sportfishing, marine electronics, boating safety, boat engines and more.
Use our FREE boat classifieds to sell your boat or fishing gear.
Marine Industry Vendors are also welcome to register a username and freely post their products or services

Computer guys....help!

Ok I'm about to smash this wireless router. I can never get a wireless router to work for more than a few months. I constantly have to unplug and replug the power wire to get back on line.

I have a cable modem and a Linksys woreless router. There is always internet connection at the router. But I run the signal through the wireless router with an ethernet cable. The router exists so I can use my laptop around the house and for the VOD for Direct TV.

Its getting to about 3 times a day that I have to reset the router to get back on the internet. I am buying 3-4 of these pieses of junk a year.

Any ideas?

I had an install that I did with a similiar situation as yours, try upgrading the routers firmware to the latest edition. Also let me know what type of router, and the model number of it.

David

A/V Solutions

(P/S) You can find the info on how to update the firmware by accessing the router, or the manufacturers website.

you may have a port conflict or an IP conflict between multiple devices on your system. Try assigning each device that uses the router a specific IP address fairly high in the IP range that your router uses. You can even dissable DNS if you would like. Also, if you don't already have WEP incription in place, that may help as well. The router @ my parents house won't maintain consistant communication with devices unless you have WEP inabled, which is easy to do & adds another level of security.

Edited by autobaun70

I had the same issue with my linksys. The cable modem would be all good with connection coming in, and good for nothing linx would just crap out. I talked with a few of my more networking knowledgeable friends and they told me to ditch the linksys, as they either had problems with a linksys of theirs or had heard of linksys issues.

So, I went out and bought a D-link, setup my WEP enabled network, and havent looked back.

No outcome, I am not very good at doing "firmware" upgrades. Every time I try stuf like that I really F things up.

I am still having to reset the router 2-3 times a day.

Chris, it's super easy. All you do is download the file on to the computer that will be connected to the router. With the computer connected to the router, open the file and start the program. It will tell you that the upgrade was successful. Read the "read me" txt file before you start. :605_thumbs_up: