Welcome to the Reel Boating Forum.
From Trailer Boaters to Captains to Marine Industry Professionals, the Reel Boating Forum welcomes you to join in with other boaters and fishermen discussing topics including sportfishing, marine electronics, boating safety, boat engines and more.
Use our FREE boat classifieds to sell your boat or fishing gear.
Marine Industry Vendors are also welcome to register a username and freely post their products or services

Throttle Lever Adjustment

The throttle lever on my boat seems to be awfully stiff and is tough to make slight adjustments to. This is on a 17' flats with a 70 hp Yamaha. I believe the throttle assembly (if that is the correct term) is a Yamaha 704. Can this be adjusted or should it be lubed to loosen it up a bit?

Thanks!

Why don't ya try and get a manual via google search that will explain how to make adjustments to the unit also a exploded view of the external and interal componets if your a visual learner, I found a manual for my old Mercury commander throttle/shifter and it was a $$$ saving deal for me. Good Luck!

It is a 2003 model. I will disconnect the cable and see what difference that makes. If it is still stiff, what does that mean, can it be adjusted or am I looking at replacing a cable?

Thanks

Edited by Dfreedom

I don't mean to sound 'flip' but have you checked the tension lock?

If this is new to you, there is frequently a small knob, in an out of the way spot, on the remote controller. This adds friction to the throttle mechanism allowing you to adjust the resistance to your personal preference. It's possible a young passenger may have been "exploring" and changed the setting.

It's a simple thing to overlook so don't feel bad if this is the problem. I've seen/heard this question before and about half the time this was the problem.

Good luck!

Edited by Kamper

Popped off the cover this weekend (after breaking off the 2 bottom screws) and tried to loosen the tension on the throttle. Did not loosen up much, why do I have a sneaking suspicion that I may be looking at a new cable? So, what should have been a quick and easy process turned in to me having to drill out 2 broken screws and re-tapping the threads and still not accomplishing what I had set out to do. That's ok though, motor is now not wanting to stay running so it really doesn't matter anyway. Damn I love Boats!!!!!!! Thanks folks