Welcome to the Reel Boating Forum.
From Trailer Boaters to Captains to Marine Industry Professionals, the Reel Boating Forum welcomes you to join in with other boaters and fishermen discussing topics including sportfishing, marine electronics, boating safety, boat engines and more.
Use our FREE boat classifieds to sell your boat or fishing gear.
Marine Industry Vendors are also welcome to register a username and freely post their products or services

boat trailer

Well I think they got the idea that I was going to jump on the deal and spend $3320.00 for thier trailer. Seeing my springs were shot they probably thought I would not dare move the trailer. The front and rear main supports on the trailer were still atached and in fair condition but rusted. Just that when the torssion arms rotted away the springs went up and landed on the main frame of the trailer. I was told by the dealer I bought my Load Rite from. That he could sell me the same exact trailer they were going to sell me. He quoted me a price of $2500.00 and he still would have made a profit on it. That would have been an $820..00 plus profit to the shop. That's takeing advantage of someone that is down. I'm going to send them an e-mail shortly telling them how I feel. They know me well as I have been dealing with them for the past 14 yrs.I've always treated them well and paid all my bills by cash only. Maybe it is time to move along to another adventure.

I'm just curious as to the type of trailer the old one is. Galvanized? How old and brand if you don't mind sharing.

Below is what I sent to the shop. I tried to keep it short and sweet and I think it will home.

Well Chris I have made up my mind on what I'm going to do with my trailer. I'm going to put it in the recycle bin. I will be makeing a purchase of a new trailer. But the purchase will not be from ####. I have put a down payment on a Load Rite trailer. For much less then you quoted me for a new Karaven trailer. In fact I could have purchased a Karaven trailer for over $800.00 from this dealer less then your quote. So I don't know what gives but I think some body better get a little better grip on the pencil.

Edited by Jigger

Why do you feel the need to send something like that? You shopped around, made a conscious business decision where to buy, but now you're gonna get in their stuff when you didn't even give 'em a chance to counter or price match? And by email rather than face to face? Were I Chris, I might be tempted to tell you to take your business down the street to where you got the great deal (I would use somewhat more descriptive language, but Chris probaby won't) ... :1925_:

Why do you feel the need to send something like that? You shopped around, made a conscious business decision where to buy, but now you're gonna get in their stuff when you didn't even give 'em a chance to counter or price match? And by email rather than face to face? Were I Chris, I might be tempted to tell you to take your business down the street to where you got the great deal (I would use somewhat more descriptive language, but Chris probaby won't) ... :1925_:

A couple of years ago I did in fact take my business else were. Because they pissed me off. I'm not afraid to do it again. As there are a couple of more shops around which handle my brand of engine. One is less then a mile from ther location. I know they have to drive by it in the morning to get to work. The time I did take my business else were this is were I brought my boat. They sent me a lot of apploigizes to try and get my business back. I just feel like they kicked me in the face when I was down by giving me a quote that was over $800.00 more then the second quote. Even at $2500.00 the guy is still makeing a profit of a couple of hundred.

Just two comments from a guy who has been in business most of his life...

First, that you are buying a different make of trailer that you feel is better was not part of your interaction with dealer #1... If you bring up as aside like that, then maybe you should also tell him your wife bought new throw pillows for the couch...

Second, that you now want to vent on dealer #1 accomplishes nothing... Just say you found a better price at dealer #2 and leave it at that.. Don't burn bridges... You never know when dealer #1 may have a better deal on the next boat, whatever...

denny-o