Welcome to the Reel Boating Forum.
From Trailer Boaters to Captains to Marine Industry Professionals, the Reel Boating Forum welcomes you to join in with other boaters and fishermen discussing topics including sportfishing, marine electronics, boating safety, boat engines and more.
Use our FREE boat classifieds to sell your boat or fishing gear.
Marine Industry Vendors are also welcome to register a username and freely post their products or services

Used SUVs

I will be searching for a used SUV. My budget is $10k to $12k.

I have found some nice 2003 Expeditions, Yukons and Tahoes.

I am a Ford man, but I like the looks of the GMC and the Chevy. Need to 4wd too.

I know nothing about trim packages on the Chevy nor GMC.

This will be the golf trip vehicle, hauling stuff, grocery getter.......and eventually the boat puller. It will be required to pull the boat to and from the coast once a year.

Thoughts?

What kind of boat are you pulling?

Now that I have a 3/4 ton truck w/ a turbo diesel, I can't imagine towing with a gas rig, even if it's occasional towing. I've driven diesel Expeditions in the oil field and if I was looking at an SUV rather than a truck, I'd give them a consideration. Though I know ford has had problems with some of their diesel engines so I'd look into that.

I'd be more concerned with finding the vehicle in the best condition, best price and least amount of miles than being stuck on a paticular brand or model. You shouldn't have much problem finding folks that are dumping their large SUV's, it's a buyers market. The online services that allow you to research the VIN's for problems with a paticular vehicle are well worth the minimal cost.

I would look hard at a 3/4 ton suburban, or even avalanche. Though the GM 6.0 gas motor is no record setter in terms of fuel economy, it is a nice mix of power/economy. Fords only offerings, other than diesel are the 5.4 & V10, the V10 is plenty strong, but very thirsty, where the 5.4 is just plain weak IMO compared to it's pushrod counterparts.

The trim levels on the Chevys are LT loaded with leather seats, LS cloth seats will have most power options some will not have power seats. I think GMC used SLT and SL as their trim levels but not 100% sure. I had an 01 2500 suburban with the 6.0 gas burner. It was a good auto but the gear it had was not for towing. But my trips were 250-300 miles 1 way towing the boat once per month, but if it had only been 1 or 2 times a year it would not have been that bad as the gas mileage was decent when not towing. I now have an 03 truck with the duramax and would have a hard time going back to the gas burner due to the power of the diesel.

I'm a Toyota guy. Been driving one version or another of their trucks since 1971. Long before it wasn't popular buying that "foreign" brand. My current Tundra has a 4.7 and a tow rating of 6500#. The older Sequoia is rated at 6300#. The newer ones with the 5.7 will tow 6500#. My Tundra does just fine towing my sig pic rig, which is right up to the limit of our truck. All that with an unloaded mpg of around 18.

If I had a domestic to consider it would probably be the GM products. Ford has really taken a hit with their diesels and the 5.4. Chrysler? Well, the Durango and the Hemi have nice poower, but no usable torque. When towing they drop down out of high gear regularly, even with o/d turned off...

Not that familiar with the Expys, and know nothing of the GM products. I am totally confused by the GM trim levels! I have the 5.4 in a '06 F-150 crew cab 4X4. I don't know where people decided that there wasn't enough power to tow things with this setup because I don't have any problems. I regularly pull a small Kubota on a utility trailer (almost 5k# total) around town and can still beat the other cars off the line at the light. Ok, they may not know it's a race :1143_neener_neener_neener: We have hauled our 3500# popup and all of the family's junk to TX and back grossing about 11,500# and averaged 12.5 mpg for the trip and had one tank that was 14.5 mpg running 70 the whole way. It isn't a big diesel, but it is powerful enough to do the job.

At about 300 hp and about 360 ft-lb torque, all is good. I think that the Expys are about the same, but the '03s may only be 290 hp :2261_high: and the tow rating is likely a bit lower than mine (9700#). I just looked it up and Ford says 8900# for the Expy! I'm guessing that is the 5.4 with the 3.73 rear. A WDH is going to be in your future, though.

A couple of things to look for would be rear axle seals and pinion seal on the rear end and rear end noise. Rebuilding a 9.75" rear end seems to run about $1200-1500 and goes up quite a bit from there. Now that I think about it, the Expys have an independant rear end, so that may not be an issue. I've heard of issues with running the K&N-type filters causing problems with the MAF sensor, but I'm guessing it is from people using too much oil on the filter. A couple of the 5.4L years had an issue with a broken spark plug on the #7 or #8 cylinder, but I don't remember the years or details. I don't know of any other issues.

Good luck on the new grocery-getter!

I bought a 2003 Ford Excursion V10 w/119k miles on Ebay last Dec for $7500. Put about $2500 in new tires, shocks, brakes and rotors, plus service updates. Its like a brand new vehicle. Runs and drives perfect.

I love the truck. It pulls my boat (7500 lbs), plus the family and all the gear with ease and confidence. In fact, I may look for an 05 model with lower miles just so I can keep it longer--they no longer make it (2005 was the last year) and as far as I know there is not a truly comparable SUV now on the market.

Now the V10 does like gas, especially towing, but its not an everyday driver for me, and anything you use to tow a big boat is going to burn up some gas.

My $0.02