Welcome to the Reel Boating Forum.
From Trailer Boaters to Captains to Marine Industry Professionals, the Reel Boating Forum welcomes you to join in with other boaters and fishermen discussing topics including sportfishing, marine electronics, boating safety, boat engines and more.
Use our FREE boat classifieds to sell your boat or fishing gear.
Marine Industry Vendors are also welcome to register a username and freely post their products or services

Dumber VHF/Antenna Question

Bill, I did just that on my old flybridge - - one VHF on the bridge, one on the lower station, sharing one antenna on the radar arch. I used a Shakespeare antenna switch, with the incoming cable attached to the single terminal and the VHFs to the two terminals on the other side.

Worked like a charm; never had any reception or transmission problems. :605_thumbs_up:

Only thing you have to be careful about is accidentally keying up the radio that is disconnected from the switch at the time. :1925_:

If I want to install a second fixed mount VHF (backup) VHF on my boat, do I need to install a second VHF antenna? Can 2 VHF's work off of the same antenna?

Thanks

Bill

If you are looking to install a second VHF as a back up I would install a second antenna as a backup too.

Hi Bill,

I would also suggest you install a second backup antenna as frank1861 mentioned. In all my years of ocean fishing, my only radio problems have been with breaking antennas and/or antenna mounts. I have had more than one stainless steel mount snap in two during rough weather. A good back up system is having two seperate radios / antennas .

Regards,

Stas

aka, FishinPole2