Welcome to the Reel Boating Forum.
From Trailer Boaters to Captains to Marine Industry Professionals, the Reel Boating Forum welcomes you to join in with other boaters and fishermen discussing topics including sportfishing, marine electronics, boating safety, boat engines and more.
Use our FREE boat classifieds to sell your boat or fishing gear.
Marine Industry Vendors are also welcome to register a username and freely post their products or services

The First "Which CC is for me Thread"

I just sold my 2005 Sea Hunt Escape hull & trailer. The engine and other rigging had been stolen. The boat held up really well and I would buy another Sea Hunt, but I'm wide open to suggestions.

Here is what I'm looking for in a 20'-22' CC:

For the family-

1. Seating for 7 for family outings. Rear corner seats or folding/removable bench plus split forward seating.

2. Potty not an issue. Realistically, it won't get used and takes up space.

3. Decent storage.

4. Reasonably high gunnels (not a bay boat)

For me and Fishing-

1. Solid mid-tier construction and hardware, whatever that means.

2. Transom or leaning post livewell. Only need one.

3. Fish boxes that drain overboard.

3. For fishing from the rear, clear gunnels to press knees against when that big Gag blasts. Some of the CC's I've seen have funky seating layouts and I'm not sure how practical they would be.

4. Safe to take out 20-30 miles on the FL east coast on 1-2' days.

5. Shallow enough draft to fish inshore. Realistically drift around in 18-24" of water. My Escape was fine.

6. Deadrise is an issue. I want enough that I won't get killed offshore, yet I want access to shallower water.

7. Weight - I drive a Honda Pilot that is rated for 4,500lbs. We have no hills which helps. It pulled our Escape just fine on a single-axle trailer w/o brakes. That hull weighed 1950lbs plus engine, gear, etc. I am considering a different vehicle if "necessary".

This boat will realistically be used 3-4 times a month at best. I am looking at the slightly used market, as well as some older higher tier models. Here are a few I'm thinking about:

Sea Hunt Triton 220

Key West 225 Bluewater

Edgewater 205

Grady 222 and 209

Whaler Outrage 20

Sea Pro's

Scout 205

Kencraft/Seaking?

Robalo 220

Budget-wise-I'm looking in the low to mid 20's. I've seen some pretty good deals out there. I watched a 2006 KW 225 w/Zuke 225 4s, under 100 hours go for $24,701 on Ebay a couple of weeks ago.

I am trying to be realistic about my use, which has been about 60% fishing and 40% family. I keep thinking about going bigger, but I really won't have the time to go offshore that often, and a bigger boat would be too much of a sacrifice for inshore and more stress trailering back and forth to the coast (1 hour each way).

That should cover it. Open to suggestions and if anyone knows of a deal pass it on. I'm going to try and access some of the large auto auctions to see if they are moving boats as well.

sprockets...have you looked at Sailfish boats or have you ruled them out. They do have many of the check boxes you listed.

I have considered the Sailfish, especially the 218. I've looked around on the users forum a bit but haven't had the chance to check one out. They seem to have a good reputation and there are a few available. The only issue may be the draft as I know it has a fairly high deadrise angle.

I have a 2004 edgewater 205 that I have been using for charters the last 3 years. Good solid boat. I have pictures on my website of the cockpit. The newer models have the seating you want I think. Good luck on your pick!

I took a look at the pictures on your site. That is a model I have considered. It looks like you run inshore charters with it which is impressive with a 20" draft. A friend runs charters on a 24' Ranger Bay boat and has no problem inshore. He just can't get into the real skinny water. Mosquito Lagoon is pretty close to where I live, and there are miles of flats that are less than 18" deep. You can still set up a nice drift depending on conditions or hop out and wade.

I took a look at the pictures on your site. That is a model I have considered. It looks like you run inshore charters with it which is impressive with a 20" draft. A friend runs charters on a 24' Ranger Bay boat and has no problem inshore. He just can't get into the real skinny water. Mosquito Lagoon is pretty close to where I live, and there are miles of flats that are less than 18" deep. You can still set up a nice drift depending on conditions or hop out and wade.

I actually looked at trading her for a 23 foot 2005 seapro with a 225 verado, that has sat at the searay dealership until the cooler and seats have split. Anything exposed has either weathered beyond repair, which means replacement. They said they could get it together. I am concerned they might have ran it once, and let it sit with the engine unpickled. I offered 20,000. - have to see what they comeback with and what kind of shape they can get it. Mine has some time on it but it is in excellent running condition. I seldom get in less than 2 feet of water.