Welcome to the Reel Boating Forum.
From Trailer Boaters to Captains to Marine Industry Professionals, the Reel Boating Forum welcomes you to join in with other boaters and fishermen discussing topics including sportfishing, marine electronics, boating safety, boat engines and more.
Use our FREE boat classifieds to sell your boat or fishing gear.
Marine Industry Vendors are also welcome to register a username and freely post their products or services

Kill switch clip replacement

Hi All,I have a 02 Johnson 150 and while waxing the console my MAD BUFFER caught the Lanyard for my kill switch while spinning at a constant 1600 rpm, it broke the clip into small pieces and in the process cut all four of my first knuckles and the base of middle finger. Quite a sight to see with me trying to turn off the buffer, my son calmly got the first aid kit and handed me about 20 band-aids with a smile or smirk I should say (he's13).

Problem is I cannot find a replacement, I bought one of those kick-tecs that are SUPPOSED to fit all switches and on the Johnson it pop's off as soon as you turn the key. I have googled for three days now and e-mailed some Johnson dealers and I cannot find a OEM part it is a binnacle mount so the clip sildes under the key.

Would any of you know where I can find one?? It is looking my I might have to disconnect it , but I don't like that idea at all.

Any help would be appreciated,

Butch

Hi All,I have a 02 Johnson 150 and while waxing the console my MAD BUFFER caught the Lanyard for my kill switch while spinning at a constant 1600 rpm, it broke the clip into small pieces and in the process cut all four of my first knuckles and the base of middle finger. Quite a sight to see with me trying to turn off the buffer, my son calmly got the first aid kit and handed me about 20 band-aids with a smile or smirk I should say (he's13).

Problem is I cannot find a replacement, I bought one of those kick-tecs that are SUPPOSED to fit all switches and on the Johnson it pop's off as soon as you turn the key. I have googled for three days now and e-mailed some Johnson dealers and I cannot find a OEM part it is a binnacle mount so the clip sildes under the key.

Would any of you know where I can find one?? It is looking my I might have to disconnect it , but I don't like that idea at all.

Any help would be appreciated,

Butch

West Marine has one with 6 different clips on the lanyard.

1874635.jpg

http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wcs/store...mp;classNum=294

West Marine has one with 6 different clips on the lanyard.

1874635.jpg

http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wcs/store...mp;classNum=294

Kingair,

That is the one I bought and it does not fit, well it will push on but as soon as you turn the key it pop's off, I held it while starting the motor and it will pop off on it's own. it might fit Yammy's or whatever but does not work on Johnson's. That is why I am hoping for a OEM part.

Right now the only for us to go fishing would be for me to defeat the switch which I can do but with my son and I it would be ______ .

Thanks for the reply,

Butch

Thanks, did you go with a seperate kill switch instead of using the original.

I might have found one Crowley Marine returned one of my e-mails and they gave me a part number which I ordered, so when it gets here and if it works I will post the link in case somebody else here is as dangerous with a buffer as I am. :)

I am suprised though, I sent at least 25 e-mails to dealers and only two replied.

Thanks for the help,

Butch

Hi All,I have a 02 Johnson 150 ...

I have googled for three days now and e-mailed some Johnson dealers and I cannot find a OEM part it is a binnacle mount so the clip sildes under the key.

Johnson and Evinrude have used the same safety switch clip on their products for the last 13 years. Part number 176288 for $12.66 is the one that fits onto the keyswitch and physically turns the ignition to OFF when it is pulled.

Are you telling us that every dealer you contacted did not know what a "kill switch" lanyard was for one of their products?

Johnson and Evinrude have used the same safety switch clip on their products for the last 13 years. Part number 176288 for $12.66 is the one that fits onto the keyswitch and physically turns the ignition to OFF when it is pulled.Are you telling us that every dealer you contacted did not know what a "kill switch" lanyard was for one of their products?

Seahhorse,

That is the part number that Crowley marine gave me which I ordered.I sent out at least 25 e-mails to dealers when I was doing the google thing and only    two     dealers replied.

The other dealer that replied was Angler marine in NC and they said they did not have the part and did not give me a part number. I was and still am surprised how many did not reply, maybe because it is a small part and not much $$.

Thanks,

Butch

Seahhorse,

That is the part number that Crowley marine gave me which I ordered.I sent out at least 25 e-mails to dealers when I was doing the google thing and only    two     dealers replied.

The other dealer that replied was Angler marine in NC and they said they did not have the part and did not give me a part number. I was and still am surprised how many did not reply, maybe because it is a small part and not much $$.

Thanks,

Butch

Most dealers do not business by email, a phone call is quicker. If you don't have a local dealer to support go to www.shop.evinrude.com and click on the PARTS section and choose your category to look up and order Johnson-Evinrude parts online.

There are a number of dealers who will sell parts online, carry a good stock, and are great to deal with.