Welcome to the Reel Boating Forum.
From Trailer Boaters to Captains to Marine Industry Professionals, the Reel Boating Forum welcomes you to join in with other boaters and fishermen discussing topics including sportfishing, marine electronics, boating safety, boat engines and more.
Use our FREE boat classifieds to sell your boat or fishing gear.
Marine Industry Vendors are also welcome to register a username and freely post their products or services

Engine mounted trolling motor vs. bow mount

I have never used an engine mounted trolling motor, but I have a set of Lenco trolln' tabs on my current boat. Its nice not having a bow mounted motor to get caught on when fishing or throwing a cast net, but it is much more difficult to control the boat with the transom mounted motors. The bow tends to swing left and right easily especially in windy conditions. If I was to do it all over again I would go with a bow mounted trolling motor.

I've fished both, and the bow mount is much faster to respont and hold it's own in a wind. The Lencos are pretty decent, but you need some good battery reserve to run them well.

Have never used the engine-mounted ones, but I'm guessing they will have a hard time in a breeze.

Hope you like whatever you decide!

-TH

I have never used an engine mounted trolling motor, but I have a set of Lenco trolln' tabs on my current boat. Its nice not having a bow mounted motor to get caught on when fishing or throwing a cast net, but it is much more difficult to control the boat with the transom mounted motors. The bow tends to swing left and right easily especially in windy conditions. If I was to do it all over again I would go with a bow mounted trolling motor.

How has the reliability of these been? I have always wanted them but have been fearful of breakage and the ensuing inability to get them serviced..

Bow mount is tough for fly fishing - It works great maneuvaribility wise but tangles with the fly line when you shoot alot...

They have worked ok but have broken down frequently. Thankfully factory support is very good. I have had them for about 3 years and to date I have replaced both actuators, sent one motor in for repair, and replaced the control unit. Everything was covered by the warranty except for the control unit which was ~$500 to replace.