Welcome to the Reel Boating Forum.
From Trailer Boaters to Captains to Marine Industry Professionals, the Reel Boating Forum welcomes you to join in with other boaters and fishermen discussing topics including sportfishing, marine electronics, boating safety, boat engines and more.
Use our FREE boat classifieds to sell your boat or fishing gear.
Marine Industry Vendors are also welcome to register a username and freely post their products or services

6-Year-Old Girl Hooks Giant Halibut

Oh sweet baby zombie jesus. I thought this wasn't THT where people nitpick every little ###### thing.

So what if the dad helped a little? Ever help your kid reel in a bluegill? You still told your friends he caught the ###### thing.

you going to cry about it?

I was just asking.

It is dishonest to say she caught the fish if she had help. Simple as that.

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Have you ever seen a kids sport video where the parents see things 2 different ways then the 2 parents in the stands start to fist fight over what they think how the play should have been in some cases one has died over the altercation. The Idea of the thread was to bring attention to a 6 yr.old little girl who caught a big fish . They have guide lines of how there The Homer halibut derby is done and it is those Refs so to speak to make the call. I know James and I under stand what he says why so many of us moved from THT. In The Homer halibut derby you may find a copy of there rules that would help explain your question schoolsout and then based on accurate knowledge straight from the horses mouth you will have your answer We see it as a little girl with a fish and you see it if it is fair or not find there rules and let them know :605_thumbs_up:

this article says she had help from her father, but still credits her with the catch. I don't understand that part.

I guess ReelBoating members don't like conversation?

Is this the touchy/feely site for fishing?

Like I said in my original post....good job for her, but she didn't really catch the fish. Simple as that....if any of you can prove otherwise, let me know.

The article says she hooked the fish, but it wasn't moving....so what then? She hooks the fish and then has help reeling it all the way up? Dad probably did most of the work, but yet it is she who gets the prize?

Get out of here.

This is a derby not a tournament

The Homer halibut derby

The Kids Prizes are six cash prizes for kids ages 12 and under. The prizes are awarded at the end of the year by random drawing and are $500, $400, $300, $200 and $100. All that is needed is the purchase of a ticket.

http://www.homerhalibutderby.com/kidsladyangler.htm

What I gather that her name will now go into a drawing and she may or not win

This is a derby not a tournament

The Homer halibut derby

The Kids Prizes are six cash prizes for kids ages 12 and under. The prizes are awarded at the end of the year by random drawing and are $500, $400, $300, $200 and $100. All that is needed is the purchase of a ticket.

http://www.homerhalibutderby.com/kidsladyangler.htm

What I gather that her name will now go into a drawing and she may or not win

understood, but she didn't really catch the fish.

just my opinion.

Cool OK :239_fishing: I feel that if she was strapped into some kind of harness she can be pulled over to her death as the Capt. and her Dad watched on to make sure that she caught the fish all by herself .No disrespect have you ever caught one its like pulling up a sheet of plywood with a big a** attitude in 500' water is where I got mine

post-1969-1245334950_thumb.jpg

post-1969-1245334967_thumb.jpg

post-1969-1245334976.jpg

I've never caught one and that is a nice one you got.

That is why I was asking.

Do you really think a 6 year old could "catch" this fish enough to say she actually caught it? I don't.

And my peeve doesn't stem from this, but watching 6-8 year olds getting awards in IGFA enforced rule tournaments that deal with catching 40+ pound fish while using 50 wides....

Now we are getting some where and understand what you say. In this situation here is a apple ,oranges thing the prizes are way different this one is more for fun and maybe get some kind of prize at the end of summer she did get her PIC in the paper that will last a life time that is the only reward she has today and a great eating fish that will feed her family for a long time. I remember when I started racing cars on dirt I started out having a lot of fun and did real well top 5 almost every week with a small budget the more money I put in the more competitive I become for years .The moral of a long story is that I lost my joy somewhere along the way from people that where not following the rules and steeling my show, that I was in the guidelines of the rules I had 2 race cars a back up had a team with 2 other cars and president of the North West Racing Association I was involved to say the least . Looking back I wish I would have stayed with the low budget that was fun. Today with boats with 4 motors that scream out with all the top gear sponsors etc.Ya it maybe tough to compete with a lot of stuff out there in the rules out of the rules .I had to ask myself what am I doing, it looks like you maybe at a crossroad to evaluate your joy

Do you really think a 6 year old could "catch" this fish enough to say she actually caught it? I don't.

Halibut are big, strong fish, no doubt. But, they aren't hard to catch. I've spent many days on the water watching kids (and grown men) catch really nice fish without ever removing the rod from the rod holder. The circle hooks commonly used for halibut fishing, don't require a traditional "hook set". A person can leave the rod in the rod holder and simply start reeling when they get a bite.

I have no idea how the fish in question was landed, nor to I care to enter a debate about who caught the fish. But, to answer the question of whether it's possible for a little kid catch a big halibut? Of course, I've personally witnessed in many times. A stout rod holder and a reel with a very low gear ratio offer two very big advantages for the angler.

Halibut are big, strong fish, no doubt. But, they aren't hard to catch. I've spent many days on the water watching kids (and grown men) catch really nice fish without ever removing the rod from the rod holder. The circle hooks commonly used for halibut fishing, don't require a traditional "hook set". A person can leave the rod in the rod holder and simply start reeling when they get a bite.

I have no idea how the fish in question was landed, nor to I care to enter a debate about who caught the fish. But, to answer the question of whether it's possible for a little kid catch a big halibut? Of course, I've personally witnessed in many times. A stout rod holder and a reel with a very low gear ratio offer two very big advantages for the angler.

I never said it wasn't possible, but the article makes it a point to mention that the fish wasn't moving and the dad came over to help.

In my book, unless the angler fights the fish from beginning to end with no help (other than a mate handing the rod over to angler when fish is first on, thinking offshore trolling here) then the catch can not go to a single person.

I'm not questioning the rules of this "derby" or whatever.....just the integrity of it all, I guess.