Welcome to the Reel Boating Forum.
From Trailer Boaters to Captains to Marine Industry Professionals, the Reel Boating Forum welcomes you to join in with other boaters and fishermen discussing topics including sportfishing, marine electronics, boating safety, boat engines and more.
Use our FREE boat classifieds to sell your boat or fishing gear.
Marine Industry Vendors are also welcome to register a username and freely post their products or services

6-Year-Old Girl Hooks Giant Halibut

Sorry fellas, This is Schoolsout's Dad here. Schoolie has been in a rare mood lately, his mother and I think this may stem from a fight he had with the neigbor kid Scooter Johnson. You see, Scooter took his bat and ball home and wouldnt come back after Schoolie stole second on a foul ball without checking the base. He was upset and now he is taking it out on you fine Gentlepeople. His Mother and I will be grounding him from any internet usage for two weeks and taking away his afternoon hot pocket and milk for a month. This should take care of the problem but if anything else should arise, please let me know and we will try to take care of it in a timely manner.

A concerned parent.

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Funny, I was just chatting with Dan about this.

You know, not that long ago, fishing was only about one thing, putting food on the table. It still is in much of the world.

Then as man "civilized", many turned fishing into a leisure activity. I imagine that is what most of us consider it. I.e., it is about going out and having fun. If we get a good meal out of it, nice, if we fill the freezer for a few months, better yet.

Then some no good basturds decided to make it about competition, started putting rules on it, and pumped a bunch of money into it with sponsors et al. I love sports and competition, but when a sport becomes a money sport, it just goes FUBAR. And those folks that get wrapped up in the rules, completely miss the point of the activity.

I'm completely stoked for that little girl, she'll be talking about that fish for the rest of her life, and rightly so.

Sorry fellas, This is Schoolsout's Dad here. Schoolie has been in a rare mood lately, his mother and I think this may stem from a fight he had with the neigbor kid Scooter Johnson. You see, Scooter took his bat and ball home and wouldnt come back after Schoolie stole second on a foul ball without checking the base. He was upset and now he is taking it out on you fine Gentlepeople. His Mother and I will be grounding him from any internet usage for two weeks and taking away his afternoon hot pocket and milk for a month. This should take care of the problem but if anything else should arise, please let me know and we will try to take care of it in a timely manner.

A concerned parent.

Mallory and I drank all the beer in the fridge and used some gas that was outside in the boat last night....can you grab me a case o' beer on the way home and run up to the Outpost to get some gas? Thanks.

My personal opinion on the matter is if she hooked it, helped reel it in and laid claim to it, it is her fish.

We fish with kids and adults and everyone has their own rod. If anyone hooks onto a fish, everyone helps if it is needed but it is still that person's fish.

After all, how many of you/us have fought a fish, brought it up to the boat and had a buddy gaf or net it and haul it on board. Who is credited with the catch? The person with the rod in his hand when the hook was set. Not the gaf guy, not the guy who held on to him so he wouldn't be dragged overboard, not the captain who maneuvered the boat, not even the guy who sold him the bait that attracted said fish in the first place.

Kudos for her. Nice fish Tegan!

• 2 weeks later...

Forget about all that IFGA crap. It's the Homer Halibut Jackpot Derby. It isn't sanctioned by anybody except the Homer Chamber of Commerce. If you buy a Derby ticket, you can register the fish at the Derby headquarters. That fish won't be anywhere near the money. It's an "feel good" story. Lighten up.

Forget about all that IFGA crap. It's the Homer Halibut Jackpot Derby. It isn't sanctioned by anybody except the Homer Chamber of Commerce. If you buy a Derby ticket, you can register the fish at the Derby headquarters. That fish won't be anywhere near the money. It's an "feel good" story. Lighten up.

I'm lightened up

but how can one claim she caught it when she clearly had a good amount of help? Riddle me that and I will be done with this topic.

Ok, last time for me also. The Derby doesn't have too many rules. The main one is $10 per day per ticket, one fish per ticket. I don't think they really care how much "help" you have. The winner will be 300 plus lbs. I think last years' winner was in the 350# range, and caught on a private boat. They all have help. Whenever we catch a big one, and it is kept, it takes more than one person to get it done. When that happens on my boat at least, the stories usually begin with "we caught a .....", not "I caught a ......."

likewise, when the boat catches a fish it is "we"

I'm not arguing the rules of that particular "derby," just the fact that she didn't really catch it. We have all had help fishing....that isn't my point. My point is if someone else "helped" her by reeling the fish in, she didn't really catch it, did she?

I don't know the extent of the "help," but the article stated the fish wouldn't move, so her dad came and assisted her. I assume by helping her reel in the fish.

So, the article title should read that "Father and Daughter caught said fish"