Welcome to the Reel Boating Forum.
From Trailer Boaters to Captains to Marine Industry Professionals, the Reel Boating Forum welcomes you to join in with other boaters and fishermen discussing topics including sportfishing, marine electronics, boating safety, boat engines and more.
Use our FREE boat classifieds to sell your boat or fishing gear.
Marine Industry Vendors are also welcome to register a username and freely post their products or services

XM Weather - Do you like it?

I just installed it on my 3210 last week (XM Fisherman Package) and got to use it over the weekend. The weather was nice all weekend, so I didn't get to see any storms on it, or anything else for that matter.

Besides a 83.5F marked in one spot, I couldn't see any other data displayed anywhere. I played around with the presets (General, Sea State, etc), but nothing really changed. Should it be displaying anything is the sky is clear?

I agree with a previous post, the Nexrad image is a real trip saver. My Garmin also emits an audible alarm when there is a weather advisory in the area, which is sort of nice.

Only disappointing features I've found is the SST and the lack of a canyon weather report. I've only been able to acquire the reports out to 20nm.

I would not go without it, plus it is nice to have the XM radio piped in so you still have radio offshore.

I have it in my Garmin 496 for aviation, but I use it on the boat and in the SUV for many of the same reasons that I want it in the air. It allows me to plan ahead for winds, storms, cell movement, cloud tops and frontal information. It even tells me if I have to worry about the President coming to my area. :D I feel it is worth it if you do any two activities using it, or still worth it if you only fly. You can get a lot of the information on your iPhone or Blackberry for your region that is almost as current, so try the PDA weather first and see if that gives you enough information for the type of boating that you do.

Unfortunately, I can't plug the XM antenna into the Raymarine GPS Chartplotter, so I have to take the Garmin 496 for those trips where I think it will be helpful.