Welcome to the Reel Boating Forum.
From Trailer Boaters to Captains to Marine Industry Professionals, the Reel Boating Forum welcomes you to join in with other boaters and fishermen discussing topics including sportfishing, marine electronics, boating safety, boat engines and more.
Use our FREE boat classifieds to sell your boat or fishing gear.
Marine Industry Vendors are also welcome to register a username and freely post their products or services

Trim Switch issue

What do you guys think about this one?

I was tinkering around in the boat this weekend and came across an issue with my trim switch. I can trim the motor up with both the switch on the throttle and the switch on the outboard itself. Problem is that neither switch will trim the motor down. I left the motor trimmed up and went back into the house to grab some lunch. I came back out after about 45 minutes to manually lower the motor and found the motor trimmed all the way down with the trim motor still running.

Sound like a short in a relay? Bad solenoid?

Thanks for any help fellas.

What do you guys think about this one?

I was tinkering around in the boat this weekend and came across an issue with my trim switch. I can trim the motor up with both the switch on the throttle and the switch on the outboard itself. Problem is that neither switch will trim the motor down. I left the motor trimmed up and went back into the house to grab some lunch. I came back out after about 45 minutes to manually lower the motor and found the motor trimmed all the way down with the trim motor still running.

Sound like a short in a relay? Bad solenoid?

Thanks for any help fellas.

That setup is pretty simple. There are only 2 wires to the trim motor. It is connected to power one way to spin for up, and the other way to spin for down. There are 2 relays - one is for up, one is for down. Considering that at first it wouldn't go down at all and then it was stuck going down I'd check the switches and their wiring first. You may have a stuck/broken switch.

The relays are identical and just plug in, so you could swap them to see if the problem moves. If the problem does move, its the relay, if it doesn't, its likely in a switch or wiring.

Ken

The same (similar) thing occurred to one of my DF200's about a year ago.

Had to go to the dealer for a new cowling switch, about $78

Interesting to note, when I wired it up, something went wrong with my "Commander" gauges, and the Engine Hours for that outboard reset to zero.

The Suzuki Service Manual shows test procedures for the relay and the PTT switch, where you check for resistance in the relay and continuity when the switch is activated. PM me if you need a scan of that procedure