Welcome to the Reel Boating Forum.
From Trailer Boaters to Captains to Marine Industry Professionals, the Reel Boating Forum welcomes you to join in with other boaters and fishermen discussing topics including sportfishing, marine electronics, boating safety, boat engines and more.
Use our FREE boat classifieds to sell your boat or fishing gear.
Marine Industry Vendors are also welcome to register a username and freely post their products or services

acb vs. cat

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I used to be a WC dealer and the 25 is one of their worst hulls. So don't listen to the snap roll thing. Do yourself a favor and ride in a 25 SeaCat ('97 only) or 27 WC. Same hull at the waterline. It will change your mind on what to buy. There are other goods cats around, but if you're looking for a comfy smooth ride in this size range and don't care about hauling ass, these are the best riding boats around in this size range. I have a 25 SeaCat and it just amazes me everytime I have her in really snotty conditions.

Bolton

an Alloy Boat is an Alloy Boat, regardless of how it is built or what it is called, it will still "pound the snot" out of you compared to a Cat (and that is almost any Cat) go for a ride in both and see what you reckon, remember, you are the one that counts! you will never beat the stability of a Cat (unless you go to about 40')

Yes, the "pretty" factor seems to be of foremost consideration for most people. Personally, I do not suffer from that affliction as my primary concern in all matters is how well something functions. I know I need to start going for rides on different vessels in order to make an informed decision, but am so buried with work and family matters right now that I'm not sure how to even begin going about making that happen. I've heard absolutely nothing from the acb contingency that I know must exist out there (posts on various boards), so it doesn't look like I'll be taking the "pepsi challenge" so to speak. The Glacier Bay vs. World Cat threads that I've read leave my head spinning, and the diesel/gas debates are always interesting and thoughtfully stated, and though I have a strong preference for diesel, nothing is set in stone. The Aussie built Kevlacat seems to get rave reviews, and comes with the diesel package I'm interested in, but finding one here used in the size I want is a hurdle. There is a 34 ft. available not too far from me but it's not going on a trailer and I don't want to be married to the slip fees. Then to further muddy the waters, friends and aquaintances are now suggesting (strongly) that Farallon and Davis are two that merit consideration. But I'll admit, I keep thinking about that 34 foot K.C. and how much fun that would be! Until my check writing hand got carpal tunnel from the repetitive nature of the maintenance issues....

Dave

If you live in the Northwest, you would have more opportunities to examine, and drive alloy cats, and ACB's. My boat is a mono hull, and built of alloy, as are many of the commercial fishing boats, Coast Guard, law enforcement, exploration, etc etc.

I did, however take a test drive on an ACB, and found it a pleasure to drive. Not at all a pounding ride as someone said. The downside to me was the loss of usable width due to the chambers. There is an ACB company in Bellingham Washington making a very high quality boat being used recreationally, and by the US military.

Alloy cats are becoming quite popular, with Armstrong Marine in Port Angeles, and Moose Boats in San Fransisco being two of the more noteworthy builders.

The cats take some getting used to, but they turn like go carts, and afford plenty of topside room due to their wide beam.

Beauty, as they say, is in the eye of the beholder, but the companies named above turn out quality products, and I'm sure if you contact them, or check out their websites, they will be happy to share their information.

Boats, as we all know, are built from various materials, and, as most people know, it is the design, and application that determines the ride, not the material used in construction

plenty of Kevlacats here in Aus, but from what I have heard (and only heard, no first hand knowledge) the US ones are nowhere near as well built as ours, don't know why though, the ones we have are almost impossible to buy second hand, they have such a good name and are very much sought after, great performers with modest HP, although to get the best out of a Cat, you need good power, seems to me that even though we have a small boating population compared to the US, we have more Cats here per capita and as such much more to choose from and compare.

...the few posts I've read about the acb's talk about how they ride like a dream and are indestructable. The thought of being able to go faster in comfort through rough conditions appeals to me. The added security of a bullet proof aluminum boat appeals to me because I go out in limited visibility conditions, I go out in the dark, and I go way offshore. For some reason, I got the impression that the acb can handle a lot without pounding the snot out of you. And I am so very tired of having the snot pounded out of me in my whaler. Warm, Dry, and comfortable is the direction I'd like to move towards. And fast would be nice too!

I've spent a fair number of days running halibut charters in a 30' ACB in Alaskan waters. I've been out in 8-10' seas with it, and I've been on a couple of overnight bear hunting trips with it, as well. The ride of the ACB is completely different than a mono hulled boat. The chop seems to slow the boat down, rather than pitch the bow up in the air. The ACB offers a very comfortable ride in choppy seas, comparatively, of course. It does not pound you, like a mono-hulled design.

When you're on anchor and halibut fishing, the boat provides a very solid platform. It's a CG inspected vessel, so we can take up to 10 clients out on the boat, though we usually limit it to 8 people at a time. Even with all those people moving around the deck, the boat doesn't rock much at all. It's solid.

The 30-footer I run charters with is powered with twin Suzuki 300's. At a 30-32 MPH cruise, it burns 21-23 GPH. At WOT, it runs 45+ MPH at just under 50 GPH. It's propped with 21.5" Suzuki stainless wheels.

We keep the boat on a trailer, because of where we fish, but it's a beast. I needed to get a Class-A CDL to drag it around, because it's over 10,000lbs. We use a GMC 5500 w/ a Duramax to pull it around, and the truck is working pretty hard. The boat has a 10-foot beam, so road permits are required for trailering, as well. On the trailer, it's not a fun boat, but on the water, it's amazing. I've never been on another boat in it's size class that rides better. They aren't cheap, though. I think this one cost $260K, new in 2006.

I've spent a fair number of days running halibut charters in a 30' ACB in Alaskan waters. I've been out in 8-10' seas with it, and I've been on a couple of overnight bear hunting trips with it, as well. The ride of the ACB is completely different than a mono hulled boat. The chop seems to slow the boat down, rather than pitch the bow up in the air. The ACB offers a very comfortable ride in choppy seas, comparatively, of course. It does not pound you, like a mono-hulled design.

When you're on anchor and halibut fishing, the boat provides a very solid platform. It's a CG inspected vessel, so we can take up to 10 clients out on the boat, though we usually limit it to 8 people at a time. Even with all those people moving around the deck, the boat doesn't rock much at all. It's solid.

The 30-footer I run charters with is powered with twin Suzuki 300's. At a 30-32 MPH cruise, it burns 21-23 GPH. At WOT, it runs 45+ MPH at just under 50 GPH. It's propped with 21.5" Suzuki stainless wheels.

We keep the boat on a trailer, because of where we fish, but it's a beast. I needed to get a Class-A CDL to drag it around, because it's over 10,000lbs. We use a GMC 5500 w/ a Duramax to pull it around, and the truck is working pretty hard. The boat has a 10-foot beam, so road permits are required for trailering, as well. On the trailer, it's not a fun boat, but on the water, it's amazing. I've never been on another boat in it's size class that rides better. They aren't cheap, though. I think this one cost $260K, new in 2006.

Hi Dan, I've always wanted to go fishing in Alaska, and am thinking about going this summer (w. my family of course! My boys are 7 and 8 years old and love to fish) Where abouts are you up there? Thanks for the relating your experiences with the boat. You're the first. There's two boats up there I read about, a nine year old explorer rescue pro, but I'm not sure of the length. That one could possibly be doable for me. The second one is a 2005 25' sportfisher extreme. It looks like it's got all the fishing room I crave, but at $145,000 I can't do it. Well, I could do it but don't know how prudent it would be. I'm also wondering about aluminum cats. Are there many up there? Are they priced like the acb's?