Welcome to the Reel Boating Forum.
From Trailer Boaters to Captains to Marine Industry Professionals, the Reel Boating Forum welcomes you to join in with other boaters and fishermen discussing topics including sportfishing, marine electronics, boating safety, boat engines and more.
Use our FREE boat classifieds to sell your boat or fishing gear.
Marine Industry Vendors are also welcome to register a username and freely post their products or services

Direct TV or Dish Network?

I have Direct TV and rain fade is a problem, as you know, here in Florida. I am also worried about that dish flapping around in the wind during a hurricane like the stop signs they show on TV during storm coverage. I'll probably take mine down if we are going to take a hit. I am going to switch to ATT when the come here. Cable was not the answer. BTW, during the infrequent rain fade times, I watch previously recorded TV. As a matter of fact, I never watch "live" TV, other than sporting events and the news. Got to love DVRs.

Direct TV has lots of "on demand" content. You can connect your DVR/Dish Box to your computer with a wireless kit and expand your ability to download "on demand" endlessly.

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have had Direct TV for about 2 years. The only problem I have had with reception is during heavy rain or snow. It's kind of pricey....the basic package is pretty cheap, but the channel selection sucks. I have the Choice package with 3 receivers--one is a DVR--and my bill pushes 80 bucks a month. I am probably going to go cable when my contract expires....they have some killer deals on bundles and will lock the price in for 2 years.

Dish TV has some better deals, but I would still save money by bundling with my cable provider.

I've had Dish for about 6 years. Generally, I'm pretty pleased with them. Decent channel selection, lots of HD programming, reception is normally very crisp and clear, but like all the satellite systems here in rainy Florida, I lose reception in virtually every heavy rainstorm. Outages can run anywhere from 2 minutes to 2 hours, depending on how the storm is moving. And their automated "customer service" phone system totally SUCKS. I always end up just connecting to the first option offered and ask to be transferred to a live human being in the department that I really want to talk to.

My system has two dishes mounted on the roof. Both survived and didn't move an inch through Hurricanes Charlie, Frances and Jeanne in 2004 and numerous tropical storms and super-soaker thunderstorms over the years.

One other thing about both Dish and Direct that totally irritates me is how they offer new subscribers all kinds of goodies - - HD receivers, DVRs, introductory low rates, etc - - but completely ignore existing long-term customers. If an existing customer wants an upgrade, they're glad to oblige, but only after you open your wallet.

The only other option in my area is Brighthouse cable, and they are a complete joke; I'm still waiting for them to provide the quote I requested in 2003.

I've had directv for about 4 years now, and all in all have been very happy with them. I don't experience the rain faid issue except in the hardest of storms, usually when that happens the power is gone anyway. The biggest thing that I like is that you can take a reciever with you when you travel to ball games or the lake house, and be able to have TV there with only one payment per month. The only issue I have had with them at all was one install job about a year ago, which was promptly taken care of once I reported the issue.

Sorry - haven't been here in awhile - missed the thread.

I am Quality Assurance Manager for Southeast/Midwest region for DirecTV.

Either sat company, if properly installed, will have minimal issues. Note I said PROPERLY installed. If you have rain fade for more than a couple minutes during the hardest of the storm then it is not properly installed. The biggest thing is when cable goes out you do not know why. When sat goes out during a rain then you know why so everybody thinks sats do not work in any rain...

Look at programming, commitment, lease terms, monthly cost then make your choice.

DTV has better HD offereing and Dish is known for battling network execs over cost and if Charlie Ergin doesn't like it he'll pull the station for a couple weeks. Especially locals.

Email me with any concerns. I cover IA, MS, AL, AR, MO (most of), TN, GA (part of), and for some weird reason Baltimore and part of Raliegh NC. jdmckeehan@dtvhs.com

and no I cannot get you free DTV.

:1947_eating_popcorn_and_drinkin