Welcome to the Reel Boating Forum.
From Trailer Boaters to Captains to Marine Industry Professionals, the Reel Boating Forum welcomes you to join in with other boaters and fishermen discussing topics including sportfishing, marine electronics, boating safety, boat engines and more.
Use our FREE boat classifieds to sell your boat or fishing gear.
Marine Industry Vendors are also welcome to register a username and freely post their products or services

Bias vs Radial tires

Makes no difference how good a tire you buy if your axles are out of alignment, it'll eat 'em up!!...I'm takin' mine in in the morning for alignment and to dble check the balancing on each tire...once you're thru those hurdles, radials no doubt...my dealer is now pushing Maxis Trailer radials over the Goodyear Marathons...they do look like a beefier tire

I put a set of Maxis radials on my trailer last year now have aout 6000 miles on them with no problems at all. My tire dealer also boats and tows in the same area as me, he recommended them based on his own experience also. It seems like he told me they had a better side wall than other radial trailer tires. I had had 2 blowouts of bias trailer tires in less than 2000 miles on my trailer and the boat dealer could not find anything wrong. I was at the tire shop i have used for years getting truck tires and talked with them and after he told me to use the Maxis radials i have had no more problems for 6000 miles.

Butch, I sent you a PM.

No kidding, UPS can be REAL BRUTAL! :753_hammer_hitting_head: I've had a few run ins with them myself on the States side; go after them if it hasn't be to long, they did cough up a little for me. ;) For some unknown reason they don't seem to be near as bad on the Canadain side. :471_confused_face:

Thanks,

I will find someplace around here that I can look at the Maxxis tires , I never heard of them. I went to Loadstars after my Marathon experience and the radials on the boat are doing fine , but the tires on the work trailer (bias) are going fast, they are all wearing evenly though, but I think I won't get 7'000 miles out of them the way they are going right now.

Thanks Again,

Butch

How do you align a trailer and who can do it??? I am in the process of upgrading my 14" load C to Maxxis or Denman 15" load D tires and I want to align it before I put the new one on. I would take it to the dealer, about 300 mile, I bought the boat from in Delaware but I don't think the tires would make it. No boat dealers near-by so can I just measure the distance from the end of the trailer frame to the axle?

How do you align a trailer and who can do it??? I am in the process of upgrading my 14" load C to Maxxis or Denman 15" load D tires and I want to align it before I put the new one on. I would take it to the dealer, about 300 mile, I bought the boat from in Delaware but I don't think the tires would make it. No boat dealers near-by so can I just measure the distance from the end of the trailer frame to the axle?

Look for a local spring shop (coil springs/ leaf springs).....they know everything there is to know about axle alignment to frame relationships.

assuming it has axles that run completely under the trailer, there really isn't a lot to do to align one. You should be able to check everything with a square & tape measure.

I don't know if you have a spring shop around you, if you do, they should be able to effortlessly align your axles/ trailer.

If you don't have a spring shop handy then you should be able to measure the distances out yourself.

- start with a good quality non-stretchy type of string (long enough for the trailer.

- make a loop and attach it to the tongue of the trailer (on the underside). This loop MUST be mounted at a dead center point up by the tongue or just short of the receiver.

- use the string as a tape measure.....stretch the string out to a identifiable point on say the left side of the axle/ trailer, pinch the string at this point and then side over while under the trailer and see how your string length matches up with the same identifiable point on the right side.

- do the above for the first, second or third axle. Measurements are not important here, only distances....hence why the string is perfectly suited for doing the job. :)