Welcome to the Reel Boating Forum.
From Trailer Boaters to Captains to Marine Industry Professionals, the Reel Boating Forum welcomes you to join in with other boaters and fishermen discussing topics including sportfishing, marine electronics, boating safety, boat engines and more.
Use our FREE boat classifieds to sell your boat or fishing gear.
Marine Industry Vendors are also welcome to register a username and freely post their products or services

Bias vs Radial tires

Wasn't sure where to put this so here it is. I recently bought a 05 7x14 Horton Hauler enclosed trailer tandem axle. I'm using it to get my tool's to the job and pulling it most everyday, the trailer has bias ply tires on it and of course I already had a flat with a nail I could not get a plug to hold so I bought a K550 loadmaster bias tire and they are wearing fast, I will need a full set in a couple months, so finally my question is would I get better tire life out of radials than the bias plys?

Thanks,

Butch

Rich,

Between experience and research I have found most bias ply trailer tires to be junk. I actually had Carlisle Radials that did a descent job for about 2 years. I have since researched many camper sites and found many campers to be using Denman Radials with good success. I have been using Denman Radials for over a year now with no issues, I would definitely recommend them and getting your tires balanced on install, it will make a difference.

I have loadmaster radials on the boat trailer and they are doing well ( 3 years) ,had marathons before that but that has been beat to death enough. the boat does not spend the amount of time on the road as this trailer does though.

It is pricing out about 200.00 more for radials but if they will last longer they would be worth it. I know when i went to plug the bias ply the reamer just went right through was not hard to push in at all and the plug would not hold.

Thanks

Butch

Butch, don't mix tires as they don't ride the same . The bias ply [ If the proper tire ] will carry the weight as they don't squat like a radial.

I run 7.00 15's Bias on my 16' flat bed and with 6,000lbs on her they hardly squat but they do ride stiff.

The biggest proplem with people buying tires , is they don't buy ENOUGH tire . They get a C rated tire when they need a D and they get a D when they need a E and of course the PROPER tire pressure is a must .

Had a guy tow his boat 600 miles to my house and when he pulled up my driveway I told him his tires were low . He said no, they all have 35lbs in them .....................I said , DUDE They take 50 PSI and he says , Maybe that's why the trailer was swaying around some.

He's lucky he didn't have 4 blow out's before he got here.

Those Tires would have never got him back home like that.

Do NOT mix and match bias ply and radial tires. Yes they are both round and they both roll, but they pull differently on the black top. In other words, chances are the bias ply will get ripped apart as you go down the road because your trailer will be in a constant state of dog trying to catch the tail.

My vote goes for radials hands down.

Garett,

It is a RT-!000 xl http://rt1000.com/_wsn/page4.html

There is the link to it, nice table it was unfinished , I have three coats of tougne oil on the top and spar varnish on the base, they packed it well but UPS aka smash and ship, beat it up some but I clamped and glued back up. I'll get some pic's but I'll have to post over "there" I can not figure how to post pic's here.

Butch