Welcome to the Reel Boating Forum.
From Trailer Boaters to Captains to Marine Industry Professionals, the Reel Boating Forum welcomes you to join in with other boaters and fishermen discussing topics including sportfishing, marine electronics, boating safety, boat engines and more.
Use our FREE boat classifieds to sell your boat or fishing gear.
Marine Industry Vendors are also welcome to register a username and freely post their products or services

Morehead first week of July

Watch the water and depth finder. If you get out of the channel, It can go from 15 feet to 1 foot pretty quick. Buoys are spread pretty far apart which makes it a little more difficult. If you have google earth, you can zoom in and it will give you a little better idea, but some of it may have changed .

I imagine there will be alot of boat traffic, watch where they go or if they hang up........

Had a good time on friday, anchored on the back of shakleford. Water was clear and warm, kids played and swam and chased critters. Caught a few pinfish, but didn't fish much.

It was like the special olympics at the ramp. Well, the problem was one boat on the center ramp. They didn't bring enough truck for their 26'+ twin engine WA. After getting the boat cockeyed on the trailer about 4 times, they got it straight, but couldn't get the truck to pull it up the ramp. We pulled up, kicked off the BIL, he went, got the truck, backed it in for the first time like a pro, and I drove right on. Tried to offer some help and was waved off. Eff 'em.

Will be offshore tomorrow, early. Should be a gem of a day.

Well that was interesting.

We headed into the inlet. Tried to catch bait while avoiding one of the dredging barges on its way out, managed a full livewell of spunky 7" pogies.

Beat our way out to the 8 mile buoy. 15 minutes later, my BIL is puking. 20 minutes later, my other passenger is puking. Wandered back in, found a rip on the green side west of the CG station. Anchored up and put out some cut baits. Caught a bonnet head shark and a couple rays, but my crew started feeling better and we enjoyed hanging out in the sun.

Used the public launch in Morehead. Never again. With the east wind and outgoing tide that was sporty.....

Did you end up w/ any Dolphin, Kings or Wahoo? Looking at your posts, it looks like your offshore day was Sunday--you missed a great day on Saturday if you didn't get out then....the seas were full-throttle flat and the fish were hungry! (at least off of Ocracoke)

Saturday was our family day, I was on a short leash.

We were barely out long enough to find fish, much less catch one. My fault for taking a crew of untested sissys in 3-4' seas.

Yeah, man.... that bites when you have someone hurling on the boat, much less 2 of them! They don't want to hear anything but "land-ho".

Here's my tip for the day: anytime I have someone on the boat that can't tell me with absolute certainty that they don't get seasick takes a bonine or stays on the dock....I carry a box so they have no excuses.