Welcome to the Reel Boating Forum.
From Trailer Boaters to Captains to Marine Industry Professionals, the Reel Boating Forum welcomes you to join in with other boaters and fishermen discussing topics including sportfishing, marine electronics, boating safety, boat engines and more.
Use our FREE boat classifieds to sell your boat or fishing gear.
Marine Industry Vendors are also welcome to register a username and freely post their products or services

Replacing the flooring in our home

We have a mid-70's traditional split level home. We have been in this home almost 18 years and have remodeled it numerous times over the years. We have replaced everything except the main flooring which is carpet.

The tired old carpet needs replacing. We have decided to back with carpet upstairs where there are three bedrooms and a set of stairs.

The mid-level of the house has the dinning room, kitchen and living room with another set of stairs that leads down to the foyer and the then the bottom level. We have decided to put laminate on this level. I put laminate in the dining room 10 years ago and really love it. There will be laminate in the foyer and on 5 steps.

The bottom level which is the den or family room and a spare bedroom will be carpet once again. Lots of stained wood on this level and we like the warmth of carpet on this level. This is not a slab either, it is a belly crawl.

All three bathrooms have new flooring already.

Typically we do things ourselves, but this job is just too big. We thought about doing the demo and moving the furniture out, but the company we got a quote from told me it would only save us $700 so I am not sure I want to mess with it at all.

I am not worried about them installing the laminate with the furniture still in the room, because they can just move it all to one side of the room, install the laminate, then move the furniture to other side of the room and install the rest. What I am worried about is installing carpet with furniture in the room. Can this be done effectively? Can the carpet be stretched out proper with furniture still in the room?

Thanks for your advice!

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Usually there will be a seam between rooms and the hallway. Just have them move all the furniture form one bedroom into another, put down the carpet in the empty room, move furniture back in, and repeat. Since it is multiple rooms and not just one big room, it shouldn't be a problem. And be sure to buy the biggest, baddest, thickest padding you can get. Will make the carpet seem more luxurious, and doesn't cost much more. Good luck.

The short answer to your carpet question is No.

Personally, I would put hardwoods up there, but that is just me. (You know we builders like wood and pneumatic guns and stuff :D )

You do have a few options though.

1) The obvious - move the furniture out. A pain yes, but ensures it is done right. Besides, you have Ralph to do this for you! :o

2) Do the job in sections. Empty as much as you can easily from the upsatirs without damaging furniture, walls and bodies. Then move two rooms into one. Carpet those two rooms. Move furniture back, and put furniture from third bedroom into one of the other two and carpet the third room. If you go this route, coordinate the plan with the installer ahead of time as it will help them with figuring and placing their seams.

Question, how did you propose doing the demo to the people you got quotes from? Did you get a detailed quote and then mention it or did you mention it up front and then get the quote? Makes a big difference with leverage in negotiating.

I mentioned us doing the demo up front. They are all hungry and I was pleasantly surprised at he total price. We are going to meet with the outfit we have selected and have an install meeting at the house to discuss how things will be done. I wanted to have my gun loaded first. Thanks RI.