Welcome to the Reel Boating Forum.
From Trailer Boaters to Captains to Marine Industry Professionals, the Reel Boating Forum welcomes you to join in with other boaters and fishermen discussing topics including sportfishing, marine electronics, boating safety, boat engines and more.
Use our FREE boat classifieds to sell your boat or fishing gear.
Marine Industry Vendors are also welcome to register a username and freely post their products or services

First Offshore Trip as Captain

I finally reached one of my life goals Sunday which was taking my own boat offshore. It's a 22' Seapro 220 witha 200 HPDI. Got some great information from Prop Blast on the other site about trolling. We left Port Canaveral around 6am and headed ESE. Seas were nice, a fairly tight 1-2. Made it out to the 27 fathom ledge and started trolling in about 165'. Listening to the radio, there was some action deeper around 250, but we decided not to run that far on this trip. We moved back in to around 135 where there was a color change and got 2 phins, 24" & 26". Trolled around a while more and decided to start heading in. On the way back, we decided to stop and hit a couple of spots the prior owner left in the GPS. Hit the bottom in around 85' but it was only small sea bass at home.

Highlights of the trip - camera and cell battery dead. Missed great pic op of the Trident sub coming in. Boat ran great and brought some sandwiches home on my first day of trolling. Lot's to learn, but that will come in time.

Sprockets, Congrats on the first trip....any trip that raises fish and brings everyone home safe & sound is a success. Prop blast did give you some good advice on the other site, but one thing I would say is to use his advice about using all artificial bait as a jumping off point, and definitely learn how to rig a skirted ballyhoo....it's the "industry standard" for Dolphin.

Sprockets, Congrats on the first trip....any trip that raises fish and brings everyone home safe & sound is a success. Prop blast did give you some good advice on the other site, but one thing I would say is to use his advice about using all artificial bait as a jumping off point, and definitely learn how to rig a skirted ballyhoo....it's the "industry standard" for Dolphin.

We actually had 6 pre-rigged ballyhoo with us. I really didn't have time to properly prepare for the trip as I had to do a bunch of shopping Saturday and Saturday night we were watching the Magic beat the Cav's. I did realize how hard it is to rig and drive at the same time.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...