Welcome to the Reel Boating Forum.
From Trailer Boaters to Captains to Marine Industry Professionals, the Reel Boating Forum welcomes you to join in with other boaters and fishermen discussing topics including sportfishing, marine electronics, boating safety, boat engines and more.
Use our FREE boat classifieds to sell your boat or fishing gear.
Marine Industry Vendors are also welcome to register a username and freely post their products or services

Meet my new neighbors

My wife found these guys in the tree in front of the house yesterday. At least one of the adults has lived here for a year or so. Every once in a while, it will swoop through the carport when I'm out grilling at dusk, no doubt checkin' out my steak.

The 1st fledgling

DSC00682.jpg

The 2nd fledgling

DSC00678.jpg

The proud papa

DSC00676-1.jpg

The doting mother

DSC00674.jpg

These are Eastern Screech Owls and according to a neighbor who's one of those earthy types, the red ones are less common.

Pretty cool, considering we live in a suburban neighborhood. Had a big crowd out last night at dusk checking them out. Definitely better than the big masked rats (raccoons) that regularly terrorize the garbage cans, or the iguanas that are expanding their population in leaps and bounds.

Wow ~ LUCKY!!!! Those are some of the best types of neighbors to have! :605_thumbs_up: They love to eat rodents, small birds, frogs, fish and some insects. With any luck at all they will help keep the racoons at bay.... :504_shrugging:

Those eyes speak volumes, eh!? Wow ~

Gorgeous creatures!!! Have fun watching them!

FJ :1992_beer_cheer:

I'll keep my fingers crossed but I don't know if they'll have much affect of the ######. The biggest one is only about 8" tall.

I'm going to start charging the neighbor kids admission, they're all gathered under the tree right now looking for the owls. :lol:

Don't let their size fool you. If there is something around to eat, they'll get it. It is usually smaller stuff though (lizards, frogs, snakes, etc). I doubt they'll do anything about the '###### or iguanas. We had a family raised in our yard in the Farms several years ago but I haven't seen any since. Enjoy watching them while they are around.