Welcome to the Reel Boating Forum.
From Trailer Boaters to Captains to Marine Industry Professionals, the Reel Boating Forum welcomes you to join in with other boaters and fishermen discussing topics including sportfishing, marine electronics, boating safety, boat engines and more.
Use our FREE boat classifieds to sell your boat or fishing gear.
Marine Industry Vendors are also welcome to register a username and freely post their products or services

Looking for rod holders....

My boat's got 4 rod holders on the gunnels (two on each side). Alot of my fishing is at anchor in a current. I'd like to get some rod holders I can stick in the two aft holders, that hold two rods each. I've thought about just getting the 3 rod kite type holders, but they are a little bigger than my needs. I built some out of schedule 40 pvc, and they work well, but I'm not sure how they'd hold up with bigger fish.

Thoughts?

Jason I bolted a couple Down East Salty Series D17s to an aluminum plate that is welded to an aluminum tube that fits in the rod holder. I run one on each side of the boat so I can troll 4 rods. I troll mostly for Muskie and Walleye so I needed the rods parallel to the water. The Down East Rod holders also work very well for drifting and at anchor. I also added a post onto the plate to use the rail mont from my grill . Brian

• 4 weeks later...

Got my bent butz!

http://www.pipedreamsmarine.com/bentbutz.htm

bentbutzsheila4.jpg

These things are the deal of the century! Well made, with neat details such as eye bolts for attaching safety lines and cotter pins to keep the holders in the rod holder.

When I ordered, they didn't have any in stock and were fabbing them. For my "inconvenience," they sent me a Tshirt to boot.

Just in time for my NC trip. Can't wait, it'll be great to troll 6 lines from my little boat....

:239_fishing:

jamisjockey....... be careful about running your spread to close to each other or you will be sending all your time untangling lines .......

Been there done that .......

Just curious why yo didn't consider out-rods or angled out t-top rod holders ???? ......... ICM

Getting pretty good at the whole multiple lines deal from trolling for stripers! Different distances, long lines on the outside, shortest on the inside, nothing at the same depth or distance from the boat, and its on like donkey kong.

I have outrod holders for the forward gunnel mount holders.

Here's how I picture my spread. Longest lines in the outrodders. At the rear holders, the two straight back will be short. One deep lure like a trap or stretch, one short bait on the surface. Two angled holders will have medium length lines, maybe on of those will be on an inline or planer.

Just going to have to teach my crew to clear lines really quick like....

:239_fishing: