Welcome to the Reel Boating Forum.
From Trailer Boaters to Captains to Marine Industry Professionals, the Reel Boating Forum welcomes you to join in with other boaters and fishermen discussing topics including sportfishing, marine electronics, boating safety, boat engines and more.
Use our FREE boat classifieds to sell your boat or fishing gear.
Marine Industry Vendors are also welcome to register a username and freely post their products or services

What was your first boat?

Our family had a 1946 16' Oldtown canoe. I was 6 months old when they first took conoeing. When I was five they added a 14' batteau with oars and oar locks. Three years later added an 18 hp 1958 Evinrude. Every spring my dad and two brothers would tighten up the screws in the floor of the batteau, putty, sand and repaint the exterior and revarnish the interior. The motor was taken for service and repairs and off we went for another summer of fun. Both boats hung on lifts on the dock and were used every day - summer- weather permitting.

• 1 month later...

13' Boston Whaler, 35 Johnson then a 60 Evinrude

17'-6" Hydra Sports Fish and Ski, 140 Johnson then a 150 Merc

20' Stratos 201 Pro, GT 175 Johnson then a 225 Johnson HO (for sale)

24' Triton 240 LTS, 250 Verado.

Does the pattern of up grading engines (that I just realized) mean some day I will have a 300 Verado?

I have had access to boats my whole life as my parents and grand parents always had boats.. However, the first boat I owned personally was a 1997 Pro-line 231 w/ 225 merc. I had to get my own boat when I moved to Md and didnt have access to my dad's boat in NJ on a regular basis

The first boat I owned was a 14' aluminum flatbottom with a 5hp Clinton aircooled engine, bought used in 1975. Moved up to a Barrentine 14' semi v with a 9.9 Merc. Caught two 10+ lb bass out of that thing. Best riding boat ever was a 1987 Wellcraft 20' step V. Best saltwater fishing boat is the one I have now, a 2005 Sea Hunt 232 with an f225. Never owned a new boat, probably never will.

Dan

The first one that I owned was one that my brother and I built. I was 15 & my brother was 17.

My dad leased some space to a guy that built skiffs and part of the lease agreement was that he would help us build a boat. He did the spraying of the gelcoat and taught us how to cut the glass and lay the entire boat up. My bro and I did it all with direction from him. It was a 15' skiff and we put an old 60hp merc on it. We both learned a lot about boats from that project.

It was a great boat that we fished and waterskied out of for a few years. My dad had to sell it after a few years cause his business was slow and he needed the money.