Welcome to the Reel Boating Forum.
From Trailer Boaters to Captains to Marine Industry Professionals, the Reel Boating Forum welcomes you to join in with other boaters and fishermen discussing topics including sportfishing, marine electronics, boating safety, boat engines and more.
Use our FREE boat classifieds to sell your boat or fishing gear.
Marine Industry Vendors are also welcome to register a username and freely post their products or services

Tree cutting

I have been clearing an area for another shed. Most trees are maybe 40 -50 ft and maybe 10-12 inch dia. Been throwing a rope up to the highest branch then wrapping around the tree, cut a little more than half way on the side I want it to fall and pull down with truck. Now the deeper trees have no lower branches that I can throw anything around - I need to be pretty accurate to avoid the pool and another shed. Any ideas on how to get a rope up there?

I am trying to post a photo - under "insert image" its asking for an address. How can I get to ask me to browse my computer so I can get a pic from there?

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here's a suggestion for getting your rope up there and around some sort of branch Bob.

- tie a small rope around the tail of one of those squirrels you have running around your property, scare him up the tree, then shoot the bastrad when he gets above the branch you have in mind. :605_thumbs_up::1992_beer_cheer:

- you could aslo try tieing a litter rope/ heavy string to a small handful of larger washers and throwing the washers/ string over the branch you have in mind. Once the washers/ string is over the branch you have in mind just flip the string/ rope to provide reduced friction of the string/ rope on the branch allowing the weight of the washers/ bolt/ rock to pull the string/ rope down the other side.

* If you are having difficulty in throwing the washers/ string up that high you could try to gain some distance by standing in the back of your truck.....possibly on a step ladder at the same time.

- don't you have enough room to just drop the trees in the direction you want? Isn't there enough room? If the tree is properly notched you should be able to get away with a rope around the trunk of the tree 20-30 ft. up and pull with the truck.

I cut some trees in my yard and had to be accurate where they fell, I went up a ladder, wrapped a chain around the tree, use one long enough to go around the tree twice so you can connect the ends on your side of the tree, 2 ropes, 2 come alongs anchored to 2 trees, make a V out of the ropes so you can tighten the come alongs and pull the tree down where you want it. Do this on a day with low or no wind.

Find a Lineman [ Power line worker ] and ask him to bring a Hot stick over , Have your string and washers ready to go .

If these trees are anywhere near your Electrical service call the power Co. they will probably top them or cut them down for you.

Be very careful pulling a tree down! They are sometimes a good bit taller than you think they are and I sure wouldn't want your truck to end up like some of the pics I've seen floating around on the internet (or worse!)

When I have a tree to drop, I always look at the cost/benefit ratio to decide if I should do it or have someone else do the work. And that is coming from someone who has felled more than his fair share of trees and usually in bad situations. If there is a reasonable chance that I could hit a house or something, I will let someone else's insurance cover that risk.

That said, if you feel confident that you can do the job, don't use the rope to pull the tree over. It should only be used to guide the tree. Use wedges and a single bit ax to push the tree over. The proper technique would be to make your notch in the direction you want the tree to fall, taking into account for the balance of the tree and any wind. Then start your back cut just as you would normally (slight angle downward with the cut lined up to end approximately 1" above the V of your notch). Make your cut, but stop before the tree falls. A slight bit of movement would be great, but you rarely get that kind of notice. Have your wedges and ax ready so that you can quickly place one in the back cut and begin pounding it in with the ax. You should have 3 wedges (you will know why if you ever need them all!) This technique keeps you away from where the tree is going to fall and gives you a great deal of control over what is going on.

Thanks for all the advice - we were able to determine the height of the last trees we cut down ahead of time knowing we had the line more than half way up and knew the length of the rope (hypotenuse) and how far we were from the tree (one leg). So the old pythagoreum theorum actually worked perfectly. All the trees are approx that same height or smaller so we won't be pulling anything on the truck. Powers lines on my propery are all buried. My neighbor actually is a line-man (well a splicer) - I'll ask about the "hot" stick. But, I would have thought if he had acess he would have brought it over....My son the pitcher has a stronger and more accurate arm and he will have the job today.....Got all the old branches hauled into the woods and cut up the trees yesterday. Rain today may dampen the plans as my truck will get no traction on my wet lawn.

Thanks again - I now ned to find how to attach a picture with theis new hi tech user friendly bright blue web-site

Grunt, the Hot Sticks usually extend at least 40' , they are made of FG and have a tool head on them [ to put the washer on ] and if your not use to using the stick , it will kick your butt . LOL

Oh, and be careful with it they cost more than a Chainsaw. Just don't drop a tree on it.