Welcome to the Reel Boating Forum.
From Trailer Boaters to Captains to Marine Industry Professionals, the Reel Boating Forum welcomes you to join in with other boaters and fishermen discussing topics including sportfishing, marine electronics, boating safety, boat engines and more.
Use our FREE boat classifieds to sell your boat or fishing gear.
Marine Industry Vendors are also welcome to register a username and freely post their products or services

Polar Skiff

Hey, another Polar owner..........there do not appear to be a lot of us out there. I have a 2003 Flats 1788 w/70 hp Yamaha. It definitely is not fancy but it was in excellent shape when I found it, had low hours, the price was right and it meets my needs right now. I like the hatches at the back on either side of the transom, were those factory? Mine does not have those. I have done a few modifications on mine and find it to be a serviceable if not fast and flashy boat. I have 2 kids and really like how much room there is stable it is. Put some more photos on.

Howdy Fellow Polar Owner, I don't know much about mine. I tried looking up some info on it on the web but I came up empty. I know its a 1998 Polar Satwater series. Since my dad and bofore him my Uncle have had the boat those hatches have been there. For it to be a 17ft skiff it is really wide and there seems to be alot of room. I have not been out one her yet but i can't wait. How does the 70hp yamaha do pushing yours? I'll have some more photos up either tomorrow or Tuesday. :1992_beer_cheer:

I haven't found a lot about the skiffs and flats boats at they no longer make them. Everything that is a Polar now has deeper V hulls for more open water. My boat is rated for a max 115 hp so it could definitely take some more power but, that being said, it moves fairly well w/a 70. If my speedo is accurate, it has hit 35 (not fully loaded) and it gets up on plane fairly quickly. Especially when you consider it has a wide beam (88") and a big almost flat bottom. I also like all of the room that it has to offer, especially when you consider it is only a 17'. As soon as I figure out how to post photos, I'll post a couple of mine.

Take it easy

• 3 weeks later...

post-3511-1244635934_thumb.jpgpost-3511-1244635964_thumb.jpgpost-3511-1244635983_thumb.jpgpost-3511-1244636020_thumb.jpg

There is a few of us out there. Mine is a 1997 1780, bought it new in 1993 and 2 months before the warrenty ran out the hull seperated and I got a 1997 hull. Its been a great boat and have put a ton of hours on and a ton of miles under the hull. With the 90 I have a top speed of 54 mph and a draft of 6" with the motor trimmed up. My only advise would be to watch yourself in turns at speed because even with the mild tunnel the hull will slide.

Here is one shot of mine. I am getting ready to redo the console panel (add gauges and a new CNC cut panel) and make some other minor improvements. I'll update as I get stuff done.

BeachJuly0820.jpg

Hey Fishnengr, noticed your port/starboard Nav. lights are on your console. Did you put them there? I assume that is legal. The reason I ask is I have a bow mount trolling motor that I take on and off and when it is on the boat, it blocks the trolling motor. I like the idea of having them back on the sides of the console. No problems with that I guess?

Thanks

Cool, looks like I can add another "project" to my boat to do list. I wonder if I would have to disconnect the bow light or can you run 2 sets of Nav. lights?

Are you by any chanceout of the Cherry Grove area? I saw a Polar like yours last year when I was up there. Just wondering.

Thanks again.