Welcome to the Reel Boating Forum.
From Trailer Boaters to Captains to Marine Industry Professionals, the Reel Boating Forum welcomes you to join in with other boaters and fishermen discussing topics including sportfishing, marine electronics, boating safety, boat engines and more.
Use our FREE boat classifieds to sell your boat or fishing gear.
Marine Industry Vendors are also welcome to register a username and freely post their products or services

Tow Line

I am looking to store some dedicated tow line on the boat but m a little unsure of how much and how thick would be best. I am hoping to never have to use it but just in case, I want to have it on hand.

The boat is a 25' World Cat 250DC. Dry weight is about 6000 lbs., plus hard top and gear and can carry 200 gal of gas. Anyone have advice on the size line I should be looking for and about how long of a stretch do I need?

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why would you want to carry tow line? So someone could tow you or you could tow someone else? The money your gonna spend on the proper line and towing bridles, you could buy several years of Sea Tow or Tow Boat US coverage.

Personally I would not tow another rec boat with my rec boat. If they need to be towed, there are plenty of tow boats around with the proper gear.

Why would you want to carry tow line? So someone could tow you or you could tow someone else? The money your gonna spend on the proper line and towing bridles, you could buy several years of Sea Tow or Tow Boat US coverage.

Personally I would not tow another rec boat with my rec boat. If they need to be towed, there are plenty of tow boats around with the proper gear.

More for peace of mind. I have Sea Tow but if I am in a bad spot and need out fast, I would like to have a line handy that can handle the job. Would not have issues with helping someone else out either. To an extent that is.

More for peace of mind. I have Sea Tow but if I am in a bad spot and need out fast, I would like to have a line handy that can handle the job. Would not have issues with helping someone else out either. To an extent that is.

Can you give a scenario?

Since your dock lines can handle hip tows, a line that can handle the stern tows will look like this and take a considerable amount of deck or locker space:

post-15-1242597469_thumb.jpg

post-15-1242597484_thumb.jpg

Never use YOUR line to tow someone , ALWAYS use their line . That way when it pops and goes through their windshield and knocks their teeth out they can't say YOUR rope did it .

If I was in calm water [ ICW ] and someone needed a tow bad , if I could I would side tie to them and push'em to a dock or safety.

To answer your question , 3/4" X100' at least then a piece to make a bridal for your stern if your doing the towing if you don't have a Sampson post . You want the Bridal long enough that you don't rub the snot out of your motors in rough seas or turns.

Best way is to have them drop the hook and call Sea Tow for them and maybe stand by until the Pro. towing outfit shows up.

Never throw your line to tow someone. Like Welder said you responsible if something happens. There nothing wrong with trying to help others out ......BUT LET THEM THROW YOU THERE OWN LINE........

As far as towing someone else, I agree with the taking their line and it would only be a short tow, back bay only. I would probbaly opt to tie them up along side anyway. I would not consider it if ocean side. If I need the tow, then I will use my line as I would not trust enyone elses equiment other that Sea Tow. Plus isn't their some risk of salvage claim BS to deal with if someone comes along and you take their lines?

I appreciate everyone's input

I've been towed and towed plenty of people. I would never leave someone without power just because I'm worried about them sueing me. If it's too rough to safely tow then I would stand by the boat until Coast Guard arrived. Sure it's ruined a couple of fishing trips, but I learned about 10 years ago that I will never leave about that is without power (someone left us).

Gary

I've been towed and towed plenty of people. I would never leave someone without power just because I'm worried about them sueing me. If it's too rough to safely tow then I would stand by the boat until Coast Guard arrived. Sure it's ruined a couple of fishing trips, but I learned about 10 years ago that I will never leave about that is without power (someone left us).

Gary

Gary,

Leaving someone that is in "peril" is wrong. Sitting right next to the boat while someone arrives equipped to do the job (USCG, Sheriff, Police, Fire, Tow) safely is perfectly fine.

Here's an example of leaving someone the right way:

One day long, long ago in the backwaters of Naples Bay:

DV: USCG, USCG, Mayday,Mayday.

CG: Vessel haling USCG, sector blah blah, what's is your position and emergency?

DV: USCG I am somewhere on the water (no clue where he was at, but he was right next to a daymarker and kept giving the wrong number!!!!!!) and I have run out of gas.

USCG: Vessel in Distress running out of gasoline is not an emergency, stop hailing mayday you idiot.

DV: Mayday, Mayday....any vessel that can bring us gasoline....we are at marker #69! (no....they were at marker 59, about 4 miles away)

USCG: STOP the Mayday crapola you idiot!!!

Finally the USCG talked the guy into a MARB. (marine assistance request broadcast) Which I answered and gave the quickest ETA. Since they were only 700 yards from my position it did not take long to reach them.

Tow boat to DV: How you doing captain? I heard the MARB call for assistance, can I sell you fuel for $xxxx.xx???

DV: WOW.....we'll just stay here until someone comes along for FREE.

Tow boat to DV: Wonderful, in the meantime can you use your trolling motor on the bow, pull anchor and move out of the channel?

DV: No thanks, we'll wait here anchored in the channel.

Tow boat to USCG: Sector, towboat....they said too expensive and they want to wait here anchored in the channel until FREE help arrives.

USCG: Jersus H Christmas!!!! Ok. (I can hear them banging head on a desk throughout transmission)

Tow boat Northbound, Sheriff Southbound, we stop and chat about the VHF transmissions for the last ten minutes or so. I follow him back South to the DV.

Sherriff to DV: Captain, you will pull anchor and use your trolling motor to get out of the channel.

DV: Ok, good idea.

Sheriff to DV: What's your plan?

DV: Free help.

Sheriff to DV: Almost slipped my mind....how about everyone hold up a PFD. Flares? Whistle? Registration?

They passed the inspection, but they were very free with the information about the great huge snook they had caught earlier and how it was to be cooked for dinner.

Sheriff to DV: You do know snook are out of season right now??? And if they were in season that is out of the slot.

So after all that, all the responders leave the guy, for he did not want assistance unless it was FREE. The USCG sector sends out a good sam broadcast, giving this guy's exact position, any boat that would like to help these guys is free to do so. Nobody ever came. While I was there I was going to suggest that they use the bow mounted trolling motor and troll themselves back into the ramp 700 yards away. Na...they might figure that out themselves. They did eventually and motored past me about an hour and a half later. (they fished their way in, my guess is to try to replace that snook they lost with another)

Some people you just can't help.