Welcome to the Reel Boating Forum.
From Trailer Boaters to Captains to Marine Industry Professionals, the Reel Boating Forum welcomes you to join in with other boaters and fishermen discussing topics including sportfishing, marine electronics, boating safety, boat engines and more.
Use our FREE boat classifieds to sell your boat or fishing gear.
Marine Industry Vendors are also welcome to register a username and freely post their products or services

Modular versus Stick Built Home

Several years ago my dad and I looked into steel framed homes from Tri-Steel Homes. We were talking about building some duplexes on some land that was available to him. The steel framing had some advantages that we liked - kit form, quick build, strong, lower cost.

The deal never got done for various reasons but it was still an interesting concept. I understand that they now have a system for panelized construction which would make construction even faster although I haven't looked into it. Food for thought.

It amazes me that nobody has been able to pull this off yet on a large scale - either the modular houses that show up on trucks and are placed on site, or the "building block" units that are large pre-assembled panels.

Either one *could* be far superior to a house built on site. The ability to assemble complex systems in a controled environment just has so many advantages. I see no reason why you couldn't assemble a custom house "shell" in just a day or two.

I'm guessing it's just a matter of time before someone gets it right and revolutionizes housing. Actually I'm surprised it didn't happen over the last few years.

As a point of reference - could you imagine buying a car, built by a bunch of local workers, assembled from stuff from the auto parts store down the street, put together out in a parking lot?

Mist-rest how have SIP's taken off up there ? we don't see many in SC

They haven't for the most part. I saw a post and beam addition in the town center go up really quick. I was going to build one myself after doing research on them. The SIP's were going to also go over P&B. The builder started jerking me around and I went to sticks. It cost me 30K but I stayed out of prison. I was going to use Murus. (sp) These guys were very nice to deal with and most cutting was done by CNC machine in the shop with the SIP's being numbered for assembly. I wish things had worked out differently but we are still very happy with our home. It was the same design, stick or P&B. I've tossed all the numbers and don't recall the sq foot price but they were all very close to one another for what I was building.

In my research I saw some very nice house designs. The biggest PITA I was finding was electrical runs. For my own house I solved this by installing floor devices and I was using Lightolier Multi Set switching so wall switches were not going to be a problem. In the end for our stick built, the floor outlets were deleted but the scene lighting remained.

I have looked at many local builders for a few spec house in a 35 lot subdivision I am overseeing and not one builder to date uses them even for the roof. I just don't get it. Everyone wants to heat with a match and cool with an ice cube. Spray foam can do this but the costs don't cut it.

its still a trialer,if you want I will show you some pictures of some 5-7 YO modular homes down the strret from me.there garbage.if you do your homework in this economy you can build a framed house on a slab for a few more dollars a square ft

Please check out the site: (http://www.safewayhomes.com/default.asp). It's placed on a slab and bolted down if I've read it right.

Gary,

In the current market you are very likely to spend more on building than you would on an existing, new contruction, home. Run the numbers, it might surprise you.

Big Al

Al,

I agree to a point, BUT Terrebonne and Lafourche parishes have the lowest unemployment rate in the country. This along with the mass exodus from Katrina have really driven up home prices in the area. The other thing we have to worry about is flooding. The Houma area is very susceptible to flooding. However the 12 acres I own in Lockport is above required elevation for building. So I'm pursuing both avenues (building in Lockport or buying in Houma). The homes under $200k (what I would really like to pay) are all crap or in flood zones. Realistically I would like to be in something by October, but if I can't make it happen I'll stay put.

Gary