Welcome to the Reel Boating Forum.
From Trailer Boaters to Captains to Marine Industry Professionals, the Reel Boating Forum welcomes you to join in with other boaters and fishermen discussing topics including sportfishing, marine electronics, boating safety, boat engines and more.
Use our FREE boat classifieds to sell your boat or fishing gear.
Marine Industry Vendors are also welcome to register a username and freely post their products or services

Modular versus Stick Built Home

I'm looking at housing options. Trying to weigh out all my options. I've have land to put a home on, but I'm not limiting myself to building on it. Anyway I've taken a gander at Safeway Homes (http://www.safewayhomes.com/default.asp). They seem pretty nice. Does anyone care to share an informed opion about modular versus stick built homes? Do modular homes appreciate just as stick build homes typically do? Could a modular home be stronger than a typical home as the website touts? My goal is to be in a home by October since I'm leasing an appartment now and don't want to sign a new lease. Any tips, reading, etc you can give me on buying a home would be great! This will be my first home purchase. I've got high 700's credit, have had a job with the same company for 14 years and make pretty good money.

Thanks,

Gary

As with anything you are only getting what you pay for. When you start adding the upgrades in modular that a quality home builder recomends to begin with they are similar in cost.

Many things to consider though, wind zone at the top of list. I have seen some very nice modulars but they always feel the same to me. Thick interior walls,wasted space, extra steps and all oriented strand board

Always wondered about resale of modulars but never see any notation in real estate listings that a house is a modular. Like they don't want you to know. Custom built or hand crafted always noted.

If I ever "build a house" it will be a modular. More for your money, better quality control, short time before you move in.

HOTSPOT it can have great quality control but alot depends on the individual factory. like everything some are good and some are bad. Just do your due dillijantz while researching .