Welcome to the Reel Boating Forum.
From Trailer Boaters to Captains to Marine Industry Professionals, the Reel Boating Forum welcomes you to join in with other boaters and fishermen discussing topics including sportfishing, marine electronics, boating safety, boat engines and more.
Use our FREE boat classifieds to sell your boat or fishing gear.
Marine Industry Vendors are also welcome to register a username and freely post their products or services

Need help - &^%$# bearing dust cap won't go on

Please don't laugh.

I repacked one of the bearings on O2's trailer tonight and tried to install a NEW dust cap. The usual trick of tapping it on with a rubber mallet by getting it started on one side is not working. Any suggestions? The new caps are allegedly the correct size for my Tie Down 5200# hubs.

Sometimes those little devils just don't want to go on. The cap is probably not quite round. I've had to take sandpaper and sand the outside edge down to taper it a bit. It usually doesn't take much and don't over do it or it won't stay on. On the really stubborn ones, I've had to use a piece of wood and a hammer to get it started rather than the rubber mallet.

Make sure its not comming loose on its own? On my way to my present vacation I checked all bearings and greased them. I aded two new bearing buddies that were not put on when I changed out the bearings and hubs a mont ago. I guess I didnt have it beat in all the way as one apparently came off first and cause that almost new bearing to be destroyed in a few hundred miles? I was checking tires and heat on hubs once or twice but not soon enough?

Make sure its not comming loose on its own? On my way to my present vacation I checked all bearings and greased them. I aded two new bearing buddies that were not put on when I changed out the bearings and hubs a mont ago. I guess I didnt have it beat in all the way as one apparently came off first and cause that almost new bearing to be destroyed in a few hundred miles? I was checking tires and heat on hubs once or twice but not soon enough?

:605_thumbs_up: For some reason the block of wood/hammer gets it started much easier than the rubber mallet. Frustrating sometimes !

Problem solved. A piece of 2½" PVC conduit, about 8" long, fits over the cap and by using a 2x4x4 block on the other end and a short handled sledge hammer, the cap went on on the second try.

bly - It didn't come loose on its own; I had taken it off to service the hub.

Mine did? Someone suggested that too much grease will not give room for expasion when they warm up?

Mine did? Someone suggested that too much grease will not give room for expasion when they warm up?

In my experience the caps pop off when the hubs over heat. I would make sure that the nut that is holding the hub to the spindle isn't overly tightened . It should be just tight enough where there isn't play in the hub assembly. Also make sure that you got plenty of new grease inside the bearings themselves.