Welcome to the Reel Boating Forum.
From Trailer Boaters to Captains to Marine Industry Professionals, the Reel Boating Forum welcomes you to join in with other boaters and fishermen discussing topics including sportfishing, marine electronics, boating safety, boat engines and more.
Use our FREE boat classifieds to sell your boat or fishing gear.
Marine Industry Vendors are also welcome to register a username and freely post their products or services

IKO shingle question for builders

Just in case anyone had any questions on Garett's position on the matter.

Not sure if I understand, Garett; are you hinting in some roundabout way that you don't particularly care for their products, and that you've taken them off your Christmas card list? :471_confused_face:

:1947_eating_popcorn_and_drinkin

Mist-Rest, you didn't mention - - how old are those shingles? (Just curious...)

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh I put the heavy of my lumber yard that I dealt with......they said their hands were tided.......6 months later the lumber yard told IKO to get their f-ing product off of their yard!

I've had more than a few beers with the owner of the lumber yard.....his bottom line was IKO was hurting his business so he dropped them like a ton of bricks.

I still say it, "F--k IKO!

Then it maybe time to go the legal route . I would hate to do that but sometimes you are givin no choice.

It's a cape with 2 large dormers, 1 front, the other rear. 12/12 pitch main with 4/12 front porch and 4/12 rear. Basically the roof lines are symmetrical from every angle. Yes it has full ventilation in the sofits and ridges.

If the problem was building related the curling would not be showing up on the detached garage. There is the same venting on the garage with no finished areas effecting the roof. The car/truck bays are fully finished with cold storage above. The boat bay is totally unfinished and this also connects to the cold storage space.

It clearly is an IKO problem IMO.

It's a cape with 2 large dormers, 1 front, the other rear. 12/12 pitch main with 4/12 front porch and 4/12 rear. Basically the roof lines are symmetrical from every angle. Yes it has full ventilation in the sofits and ridges.

If the problem was building related the curling would not be showing up on the detached garage. There is the same venting on the garage with no finished areas effecting the roof. The car/truck bays are fully finished with cold storage above. The boat bay is totally unfinished and this also connects to the cold storage space.

It clearly is an IKO problem IMO.

If the shingles are going bad all over (detachted garage included) I agree with you Mist-Rest.

There are alot of problems with 1 1/2 story houses however due to ventalation problems. Even having soffit and ridge vents does not solve the problem. The problem lies in the area between to top of the knee wall and where the ceiling joist meet the rafters. This area should have baffles installed for the air to move between the backside of the knee wall and the attic.Many times not enough room is allowed in this cavity and it is filled with insulation batts. Lack of ventalation in this area causes heat to build up and the shilgles to fail prematurely.This does not apply if foam is sprayed in.

Your situation does not sound like the one i decribed. Yours does sound like product failure.

If the shingles are going bad all over (detachted garage included) I agree with you Mist-Rest.

There are alot of problems with 1 1/2 story houses however due to ventalation problems. Even having soffit and ridge vents does not solve the problem. The problem lies in the area between to top of the knee wall and where the ceiling joist meet the rafters. This area should have baffles installed for the air to move between the backside of the knee wall and the attic.Many times not enough room is allowed in this cavity and it is filled with insulation batts. Lack of ventalation in this area causes heat to build up and the shilgles to fail prematurely.This does not apply if foam is sprayed in.

Your situation does not sound like the one i decribed. Yours does sound like product failure.

Yes, the problem is all over and both buildings. We made dam sure that the knee wall areas were well vented for air to pass freely. The only problem for venting we have as does every roof with a valley is venting the valley areas. Funny part is it started on the porch roof in the front where the soffit vents and joists line up all the way to the ridge vent over the second floor.

This house was not built by bid. It was hourly with a smart crew and no detail was over looked. I could never sell it for what it cost but then again I built it to keep, not flip.

Thanks for backing up my thoughts on the product. We're heading up this weekend and a few shingles will be pulled and sent to the factory for what I think my be my greasing. :angry:

So, am I to understand that Garett's position is "F**K IKO"?

Big Al

Al, I think we are talking about the same thing here, but it's hard to tell from the thrall of your accent. :unsure: It's not F**k IKO, say it slowly now, it's F--k IKO! :lol:

Oh and I failed to mention earlier.

Now I understand this ventilation thing in relation to shingle life span; so why is it that when I put the same IKO shingles on my south facing back porch roof with the rafters exposed did the 30 yr shingles go for a total sh!t in 2-3 yrs? I mean the IKO shingles looked like they were 50 yrs old......proper felt paper was used. Being an open porch with the rafters exposed there should be ZERO issues in regards to ventilation, so what gives?

Now that really didn't bother me to much because I tore down the small porch and built a bigger better one. The old one only took several bundle to cover it. But just the same, the shingles seriously looking like they were 50 yrs old in only a few years. Why? Was that IKO quality? :471_confused_face:

Al, I think we are talking about the same thing here, but it's hard to tell from the thrall of your accent. :unsure: It's not F**k IKO, say it slowly now, it's F--k IKO! :lol:

Oh and I failed to mention earlier.

Now I understand this ventilation thing in relation to shingle life span; so why is it that when I put the same IKO shingles on my south facing back porch roof with the rafters exposed did the 30 yr shingles go for a total sh!t in 2-3 yrs? I mean the IKO shingles looked like they were 50 yrs old......proper felt paper was used. Being an open porch with the rafters exposed there should be ZERO issues in regards to ventilation, so what gives?

Now that really didn't bother me to much because I tore down the small porch and built a bigger better one. The old one only took several bundle to cover it. But just the same, the shingles seriously looking like they were 50 yrs old in only a few years. Why? Was that IKO quality? :471_confused_face:

That was IKO 's lack of quality. If the granuals are coming off the shingles at an excesive rate the shingles will start to curl up on the corners. The granuals are what actually protect the shingle.You lose to many of them and you lose you shingles.