Welcome to the Reel Boating Forum.
From Trailer Boaters to Captains to Marine Industry Professionals, the Reel Boating Forum welcomes you to join in with other boaters and fishermen discussing topics including sportfishing, marine electronics, boating safety, boat engines and more.
Use our FREE boat classifieds to sell your boat or fishing gear.
Marine Industry Vendors are also welcome to register a username and freely post their products or services

Prop Question

The Homosassa rocks are starting to take their toll on my prop.

Right now I have a Mirage 15.5 X 17 and I have no complaints about the performance BUT being a boater I'm always looking for a little more. How would the Enertia 14.625 X 17 compare? It is 1 inch smaller but I'm not technical enough to know what that affects. The boat is a 2004 Trophy 2103 with a Mercaha 225 four stroke.

The Homosassa rocks are starting to take their toll on my prop.

Right now I have a Mirage 15.5 X 17 and I have no complaints about the performance BUT being a boater I'm always looking for a little more. How would the Enertia 14.625 X 17 compare? It is 1 inch smaller but I'm not technical enough to know what that affects. The boat is a 2004 Trophy 2103 with a Mercaha 225 four stroke.

Tooreel,

The diameter isn't as severe as the pitch. You probably won't notice anything different.

I went from a ss to a al prop(same p+d) on a 21' proline and gained 3mph at cruise. So the weight, pitch,# and shape of the blades is what affects performance the most.

Thanks,

I was set on buying the exact prop that I have now but I saw a post on THT where a guy with a Verado powered 2103 was running a enertia 17 so that got me thinking (and that is a dangerous thing). The enertia is more expensive but a few miles per hour and a better hole shot would be worth it.

Tooreel,

The diameter isn't as severe as the pitch. You probably won't notice anything different.

I went from a ss to a al prop(same p+d) on a 21' proline and gained 3mph at cruise. So the weight, pitch,# and shape of the blades is what affects performance the most.

Every boat is different but I liked running a 17 Enertia over the Mirage on my last boat. i was able to hold plane slower, lose less grip, and obtain more rpms at WOT. I believe I have read in a review that despite the smaller diameter of the Enertia that it actually has more blade surface area than the mirage plus.

I have a Trophy 2103 with a Verado 225. I am not sure if you mentioned my boat above but I did try an Enertia 17p. Excellent acceleration and better topend speed.

If you are getting close to max rpm with the Mirage 17p, you may need to try the Enertia 18p to keep your revs within the WOT limit.

Cheers.

I have a Trophy 2103 with a Verado 225. I am not sure if you mentioned my boat above but I did try an Enertia 17p. Excellent acceleration and better topend speed.

If you are getting close to max rpm with the Mirage 17p, you may need to try the Enertia 18p to keep your revs within the WOT limit.

Cheers.

I'm not sure the OP will get the same performance that you will since you have a Verado and it is supercharged and his isn't. I would look at the max RPM's that you have compared to your old prop and see how far off of the max rpms' you are. For every 2" of pitch you will gain 200 rpms give or take going down in pitch. For going up you will loose 200 rpms. This is just a rule of thumb.

Not sure if I can recomend a URL here or not yet.

Let me know if I can then I'll recomend a prop shop that lets you test props to get the right one for your boat.

Hope this helps.

I'm not sure the OP will get the same performance that you will since you have a Verado and it is supercharged and his isn't. I would look at the max RPM's that you have compared to your old prop and see how far off of the max rpms' you are. For every 2" of pitch you will gain 200 rpms give or take going down in pitch. For going up you will loose 200 rpms. This is just a rule of thumb.

Not sure if I can recomend a URL here or not yet.

Let me know if I can then I'll recomend a prop shop that lets you test props to get the right one for your boat.

Hope this helps.

Dave, what prop are you running, what's your WOT speed and RPM, and how low can you go RPM-wise and stay on plane?

Bob C :1143_neener_neener_neener:

Dave, what prop are you running, what's your WOT speed and RPM, and how low can you go RPM-wise and stay on plane?

Bob C :1143_neener_neener_neener:

Bob,

I run a 19" Tempest and am getting 6200 WOT my speed is mid 50's with just me and 48 full load 3 people for fishing. I can usually stay on plane as low as 17mph or so depends on the load but usually less than 20 mph. I get much better performance out of this Tempest than anything else I have tried. It is great on big water like Lake Erie.

I have run a 21" but the RPM's were too low it was just under 5800 however the Top End was about 58, holeshot suffered terribly so I opted for the overall best for my setup and that was the 19" Tempest.