Welcome to the Reel Boating Forum.
From Trailer Boaters to Captains to Marine Industry Professionals, the Reel Boating Forum welcomes you to join in with other boaters and fishermen discussing topics including sportfishing, marine electronics, boating safety, boat engines and more.
Use our FREE boat classifieds to sell your boat or fishing gear.
Marine Industry Vendors are also welcome to register a username and freely post their products or services

Garmin 4000/5000 users

[Excellent, so how do I get them on a 450? Do you work for Garmin?

I don't work for Garmin ...... they will come via a software upgrade ... the lastest for the 500 series is V 4.4 (it can be downloaded from the Garmin site). The images I posted came directly from the Garmin website so I would think the new software release should occur in May sometime.

I got it right V 5.0 was released tonight for the 4000/5000 series chartplotters. :1992_beer_cheer:

Here's where you can download from .....

https://buy.garmin.com/shop/store/downloads...8&pID=11186

Changes made from version 4.80 to 5.00:

Made the units much more responsive to key presses and screen touches.

Numerous rearrangements of menus, configurations, and adjustments to place most-used features in easy to access locations.

Made the Back button smarter to minimize the number of key presses required to exit commonly used features.

Added automatic time zone setting at start-up.

Added logging of MOB events.

Expanded control of navigation leg transition to include a time-based choice.

Changed the chart terminology for heading-up orientation from Track Up to Head Up.

When a route is activated the unit will automatically add a leg from the boat?s current position to the first waypoint in the route.

Improved waypoint marking interfaces to minimize map obstruction and reduce required key presses.

Greatly improved the drawing speed for charts. In most areas users should rarely see a partially drawn map when zooming and panning.

Added continuous smoothing between zoom levels.

Added continuous smoothing of the head-up direction for head-up charts. Head-up users will find this change a remarkable improvement in performance.

Add ability to choose the label display for waypoints by symbol. User can choose to show labels for waypoints of a particular symbol with the waypoint name, comment, or symbol only.

Waypoints can now be turned off on charts by symbol. This allows the waypoints on the map to be quickly limited to those of interest for the boater?s current activity.

Added ability to show or hide track logs based on color.

Added a compass rose overlay option.

Added ability to mark waypoints with the pointer on weather maps.

Added all supporting features for the latest g2 and g2 Vision, including user control of bathymetric contour shading.

Added a perspective 3D display of charts for people who do not have g2 Vision cards.

Added ability to overlay charts and photographs on the 3D relief when using g2 Vision.

Added ability to rotate the 3D view and point to objects for review.

Improved the head-up responsiveness of Mariner?s Eye 3D making manual route following much easier to do (no over-steer).

Numerous appearance and drawing performance improvements.

Added option for a compass tape at the top of the screen.

Removed the ?sonar panel? display from Fish Eye 3D and replaced with symbols indicating sonar detections.

Removed the control for specifying the sonar beam width in the 3D picture. Beam width is determined automatically from the transducer.

Added a Sentry Mode to make the management of guard zones and timed-transmit modes easier.

Made the panning and pointing operations more like working with maps.

Made the symbols for MARPA more like the international standard shapes and colors.

Added user control for water temperature offset.

Added ability to move a pointer around on the sonar image when paused and mark waypoints at locations pointed to (underwater waypoints feature).

Can now load and store multiple sets of user data files on an SD card.

Added user comments field to waypoints.

Added range, bearing, and a graphical pointer to waypoint review pages.

Added support for the new GXM-51 weather receiver.

Made the MOB function a full-system feature such that pressing MOB on any device will place every device in an MOB-ready state. The software downloaded from this page will also update other Garmin devices connected to the plotter so that they have this feature also.

When activating navigation on the chart plotter you have the option to engage the autopilot if it is a Garmin GHP-10 connected via NMEA2000.

Added serial transfer of user data for compatibility with popular PC navigation and planning software.

When connected to future Garmin NMEA 2000 VHF radios the user can choose to place a DSC call to any item which has an MMSI number including DSC position markers and AIS vessels on the map.

Changed the symbols and colors to be closer to international standards.

AIS vessels are only filtered from the map by distance from the boat. The user can set up the range of interest or choose to show all AIS vessels up to a maximum of 100 vessels.

Added standard ?select and activate? interface for AIS. User can choose which targets to track with a larger symbol and heading/COG indications. All other AIS vessels display in a smaller symbol to minimize clutter.

Use a solid line for AIS vessel heading and a dashed line for course over ground.

Added user-controlled trails for AIS, DSC, and MARPA vessels.

Added connecting legs over shallow areas at the beginning and end of the path. This allows the boater to auto guide to a shore-based service. The unit will sound an alarm when the boat approaches the shallow leg.

Added a control for shore-line proximity tolerance which allows the user to choose tighter margins for passage through narrow channels or set a larger distance margin from the shoreline.

Plotter will allow a GHP-10 family autopilot connected via NMEA2000 to steer the Auto guidance path.

When following Auto guidance added a navigation option to recalculate Auto guidance to the current destination from the boat?s current position.

Birdman answered your question over on the other board.

Select Route to Run > Navigate To Menu > you'll see a menu "Do You Want Engage the AP" > Select Yes :1992_beer_cheer:

BWP,

How do I get my AP (garmin GHP) to show on my 5212. Was told that the 5.0 would allow this,. I see the changes in "route to", etc. But heard I can control the ap from the home screen after the update.

In advance, you're a wealth of great insight, much appreciated!

regards,

David