Welcome to the Reel Boating Forum.
From Trailer Boaters to Captains to Marine Industry Professionals, the Reel Boating Forum welcomes you to join in with other boaters and fishermen discussing topics including sportfishing, marine electronics, boating safety, boat engines and more.
Use our FREE boat classifieds to sell your boat or fishing gear.
Marine Industry Vendors are also welcome to register a username and freely post their products or services

Chapter 1 - - - Miss-Be-Haven II

The Delta's are an odd, but sturdy boat. The 36 is their only real sportfish I feel. There are several that have seemingly been on the market forever. The 36 has a strange step up then step down deal from the cockpit to the helm area. Delta's are primarily a commercial boat made here at Cape Canaveral by Canaveral Custom Boats. There's one on the next dock down and I frequently walk people by to look at the layout and ask if they can figure out what it is... very few can.

There is some good talk about Delta . . . trying to get some better pics about the layout etc. but they are rare . . . even their website has few pics and most of those are very small and show few details

Almost like they want to keep it a secret . . . I wonder why :504_shrugging:

There is some good talk about Delta . . . trying to get some better pics about the layout etc. but they are rare . . . even their website has few pics and most of those are very small and show few details

Almost like they want to keep it a secret . . . I wonder why :504_shrugging:

Had a friend who owned one and a guest fell pretty badly on the step setup, he was charging off the helm area to strike a fish. The boat company has been thru a lot of stuff last decade or so. When a guy named DeSouza owned them, things ran pretty well. Lately, they don't seem to produce anything over the last number of years, unrelated to the economy it seems. They were refurbing a friend's 41 Hatteras years back and he had to pull the boat out of there and finish it himself with a giant hassle. They have a 36 sitting outside today, older one that has been in the water, and a couple other brand boats that they are doing repairs on at the moment. I'd do a lot of research or chat with me privately if you need further advice on a Delta.

On later model 36s, Delta changed the helm deck step layout from "rungs on a bulkhead", to actual steps. sometime during the mid-late 1990s (though the latter step config does take up some cockpit space). Delta probably built less than 20 boats overall, per year, since the mid 1980s. The people I knew spoken to who've either been on, or have run one of the 36SFX models, speak very highly of it's layout and handling.

BTW, Riviera just went into receivership: http://www.powerboat-world.com/Receivers-a...viera/56558/arc

Neither situation would effect may decision to purchase a vessel, as I'd place more trust in the opinions of a good yacht surveyor, than anything else.

For those of you who do not know, the purchase of the 1958 Rybovich fell through . . . structural problems :(

The search continues :)

I talked to Wiley and we have agreed that I will document the process of buying a boat, including far more details about the process including experiences with brokers and owners and suppliers . . . a RealBoating exclusive

Since I am looking at buying a used boat there will be a number of projects such as new electronics, underwater lighting, downriggers etc. etc.

I will work with various suppliers and document those projects . . . I will be seeking RBer input and comments on buying the boat and on doing the projects

Some RBers have suggested that I "start at the start" and specifiy what kind of boat I am looking for . . . so this is Chapter 1

My Situation: I just turned 60 and I am semi-retiring . . . I will not go over my budget . . . I will not by a boat that pounds as I suffered a back-compression injury many years ago

Use and Type of Boat: This boat is primarily (99%) for fishing and must have a large cockpit with large fish boxes . . . the Admiral and I do not cruise

Offshore sportsfisher that can handle 4 footers at a reasonable speed of 17 or so knots without pounding.

I would prefer an express with a tower and controls but I will look at convertibles with a well-equipped flybridge

I want to be able to sleep aboard for a week or so at a time, and it must have a galley and a small dinette size table for eating, playing cards and using my computer

I do not want a centre console or a go fast boat.

Size of Boat: Between 37 and 41 feet in length and a maximum beam of 14 ft 6 inches . . . size limited by the slip I have . . . I do not want to change slips

Fuel Consumption : At a cruise speed of 17 to 20 knots it must do at least 1 mpg

Turnkey Condition: I do not want a project boat. I am willing to install new electronics and the such . . . but NO work to the engines, transmissions, hull etc.

Specific Boats Already Looked at and Rejected:

Rampage 38 . . . pounded too much but great layout for fishing

Viking 43 . . . too wide for the slip and burns too much fuel

Looks and Design: I want a boat that has eye appeal . . . this can be a classic sportfisher or a more current style sportfisher . . . I want a boat that I can be proud of

Total Budget: I have a max of $180,000 of which 75% to 80% is the max for the boat and the balance is for the projects and fishing upgrades

- - - - -

Lets make this story, interesting fun and informative

Identify boats that are for sale that you think fit my criteria and I will respond to all of your posts

THANKS

An interesting boat that you might consider is an older42 ft. wooden lobster boat. It is available at Mid coast yacht brokerage . Supposedly it has been completely re done. It fits most of your requirements. I know that the boat has been for sale for quite a while. It is a one=off built by Rod Marple at Longport marine in NJ. It was built for Mr Lovett.of Lovett bilge pump fame. It has a fly bridge and is spectacular in appearance. Most likely you do not want to get into anything old and wooden, but take a look at the pictures. It sure is a pretty boat.

My 2 cents....

why a flybridge if you have back problems? I would think you would most definately want an express with good curtains

An express would be prefered

Fewer expresses than flybridges have been built and my general observation is that expresses seem to have been run harder than flybridges . . . so it has been hard to find expresses at a reasonable price

For example an express which sold for less is today commanding a higher price than the flybridges which sold for more than expresses when they were new

Interesting market :)

Auguste,

Any interest in Tiara?

All these 36' Tiaras are within your budget and easily fit your slip.

Tiara 36' Express with Tower re powered with Cat 3208's diesels,

Similar to http://www.yachtworld.com/core/listing/boa...=76454&url=

or 36' Express Hardtop with Twin Yanmar, Low Hours

http://www.yachtworld.com/core/listing/boa...=65351&url=

or 36' Express with Tower, 3208 Cats

http://www.yachtworld.com/core/listing/boa...d=1709&url=

or 36' Convertible, Twin Cummins, Low Hours

http://www.yachtworld.com/core/listing/boa...d=1817&url=

or 36' Express with Tower, Twin Cats 3208's, Major rebuild on both 2007

http://www.yachtworld.com/core/listing/boa...=69311&url=

After reading your posts, I did not see that you had ruled these out.

My personal all time favorite would be a Strike 37 WA, but that is way out of your or my (in my dream) budget.

I have really appreciated your threads on this and other forums, documenting your quest. I even condensed your posts and forwarded them to a friend who is looking in the 40' to 50' range. I feel that this is the best documented alert as to how important a good Survey(ors) and Mechanical inspections are.

So your collaboration with Wiley on this forum to formalize what you have learned/experienced will be a must read for any who are in the purchase process.

Also, it sure does not hurt to have a friend like fubar512 to bounce your observations off of, as well as consider his knowledgeable input.

Hopefully you will find the "right one" before your emotions and desire wain.

Best, dishinit

dishinit

I will look a them THANKS

Hi Guys . . . I am away until Tuesday next week . . . my son is getting married this weekend

Auguste,

I noticed after the fact that you had a 37' minimum. Tiara also makes 38, & 41 Express Opens, with beams that fit your specs. I believe I saw at least one Tower equipped & "Turnkey" condition on the same site within your budget range.

Congrats on your Son's impending marriage, big step giving up the "I" for the "We".