Welcome to the Reel Boating Forum.
From Trailer Boaters to Captains to Marine Industry Professionals, the Reel Boating Forum welcomes you to join in with other boaters and fishermen discussing topics including sportfishing, marine electronics, boating safety, boat engines and more.
Use our FREE boat classifieds to sell your boat or fishing gear.
Marine Industry Vendors are also welcome to register a username and freely post their products or services

Anyone Here Fished The Steps?

Tad bit out of my range I believe since I only have a 135 gallon tank and a 2 stroke, but let me know if you ever want to buddy boat out to around 80 miles :1992_beer_cheer:

Thoughts of fishing out there make me even more ready to upsize my ride.

Is it me, or does the crowd on the Cap Mel board seem to think that 10 miles is too far offshore to fish? Being cautious is a good thing, but being prepared and having a game plan is a great thing.

Let me know if you need an extra and I may be in.

If your talking about the Steps from St Pete.............You need a much bigger boat.........The Steps from St Pete is about 130 to 145 miles SW. The Middle Grounds starts about 80 miles W, NW from St Pete but you do not have the currents and deep water that the Steps has. The Steps within 8 miles goes from 1000 ft to 12,000 ft in depth.

Tad bit out of my range I believe since I only have a 135 gallon tank and a 2 stroke, but let me know if you ever want to buddy boat out to around 80 miles :1992_beer_cheer:

Thoughts of fishing out there make me even more ready to upsize my ride.

Us too....

Also read your post about the Capt. Mel crowd.....We fish out of Bayport. We have to go forever to get to deep water. I just posted pic's from yesterdays trip. We were 32 miles out to get in 58' of water. Yes, I too want a bigger boat, but for now I bring a full tool kit, hoses, clamps, connectors, multimeter, vhf and a handheld, gps and a portable gps and a PLB.

I have some good inshore spots, but when I hit some of these good deeper water ones, the bite is awesome. Plus, lots of surprises, different fish, etc.

I saw Jims post on the locator device and it looked like he went NW, up near us. We hope with our next boat (23-24 WA) we can also overnight and enjoy ourselves even more.

We will have to make it a threesome!