Welcome to the Reel Boating Forum.
From Trailer Boaters to Captains to Marine Industry Professionals, the Reel Boating Forum welcomes you to join in with other boaters and fishermen discussing topics including sportfishing, marine electronics, boating safety, boat engines and more.
Use our FREE boat classifieds to sell your boat or fishing gear.
Marine Industry Vendors are also welcome to register a username and freely post their products or services

Fifth Try To Buy New (used) Boat

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Darnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn

Spent the day with surveyor Henry Pickersgill (fantastic man, great experience and very knowledgeable) and crawled over every nook and corner

Beautiful boat and strong love factor . . . but here is the reality

There were many minor and medium level probles that could be fixed with some time and money . . . estimate is $30K minimum for that work

The major issue for me is that both the surveyor and I saw some planking (wood hull) separating at different places from the frame

The boat is definately restorable but at what cost and over what period of time

I think I need to take some time off from boat hunting . . . this is just too much of an emotional roller coaster

Darnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn

Spent the day with surveyor Henry Pickersgill (fantastic man, great experience and very knowledgeable) and crawled over every nook and corner

Beautiful boat and strong love factor . . . but here is the reality

There were many minor and medium level probles that could be fixed with some time and money . . . estimate is $30K minimum for that work

The major issue for me is that both the surveyor and I saw some planking (wood hull) separating at different places from the frame

The boat is definately restorable but at what cost and over what period of time

I think I need to take some time off from boat hunting . . . this is just too much of an emotional roller coaster

Did you bother with the haul?

Were you able to get under the laminate on the inside?

Did you bother with the haul?

Were you able to get under the laminate on the inside?

We could not get under the laminate and when they hauled out the boat we saw a few problems that we had not seen before

I am here till tomorrow morning leaving around 10 AM to go home

Enjoyed the beers lasy night :)

While I love wood boats, and even built one I'd think long and hard before buying an older one that needs some work.

The #1 question you need to ask yourself is, do you want a project to work on, or a boat to take out cruising a fishing? If you want to spend time on the water vs. in drydock, I would avoid wood boats, or any that need signifigant work.

In general with older used boats, people are selling them because the cost of fixing them exceeeds the value of the boat.

Sorry to hear this one didn't work out, but it beats the heck out of being stuck with a project boat.

Gus....just a thought (or maybe you've already done this) but why don't you post some parameters on here of exactly what you're looking for? Maybe it will yield a lead that you or your broker haven't seen....or maybe not, but it might make for some interesting conversation anyway.