Welcome to the Reel Boating Forum.
From Trailer Boaters to Captains to Marine Industry Professionals, the Reel Boating Forum welcomes you to join in with other boaters and fishermen discussing topics including sportfishing, marine electronics, boating safety, boat engines and more.
Use our FREE boat classifieds to sell your boat or fishing gear.
Marine Industry Vendors are also welcome to register a username and freely post their products or services

What was your first boat?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

A 12' aluminum mirrocraft skiff with an elgin 7.5hp. IN/OUT box for a lower end and the motor rotated 360 degrees for reverse. I was 9 or 10 YO it was my P's boat but I was authorized. Oars only at first then the engine. I had to earn money to cover the fuel. I ran the rivets out of that thing. But my brother and I learned to water ski behind it. Used to go onto the clam flats at high tide in Point Judith pond in 2 feet of water and ski around the grass points. Need a couple more HP to get my fat butt out of the water now.

First I actually owned was a 58 13' whaler, boat only. I was 14 YO. I wanted a whaler and my dad wouldn't buy me one so I told him I was going to get a job and buy it myself. I don't think he believed me. I washed dishes for the whole winter to pay for that boat, $600 IIRC. A family friend gave me a 1970 Johnson 33 and an old painted trailer. That engine rattled and got oil all over the place. Next season I was out on Point Judith with the cool kids.

The boat was electric free so my friend and I used to idle it forward and go forward with paddles and get the water to come over the bow and sink it. Then drive around with the bow, engine and wheel above water. That darn thing would loose water over the stern and start floating higher, they are really are unsinkable.

Bought a brand new 35hp Johnson, electric start that next winter. Never even installed it because that spring I bought a new to me 77 13' whaler that was one season old. My dad woke me up one Saturday morning and told me the same family friend that gave me the engine wanted to sell his new whaler for a bargain price and my dad wanted to know if I wanted it. Well of course. I washed a lot of dishes to pay those bills, but 35 years and 4 engines later that boat is still in my barn. It has been from Maine to Florida from San Diego to Puget sound and through hurricane Bob. Of course now it serves as tender most of the time.

• 2 weeks later...

My first and last boat was a then-purchased-new Lowe 14-footer sporting 25-horse Johnson 2-stroke power. Johnson outboards are out of production. This boat proved to small for my two German shepherds and a human companion on deck and also had tiller control which I hated.

• 5 years later...
  • 3 months later...