Welcome to the Reel Boating Forum.
From Trailer Boaters to Captains to Marine Industry Professionals, the Reel Boating Forum welcomes you to join in with other boaters and fishermen discussing topics including sportfishing, marine electronics, boating safety, boat engines and more.
Use our FREE boat classifieds to sell your boat or fishing gear.
Marine Industry Vendors are also welcome to register a username and freely post their products or services

Opinions Rods-n-reels

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You went out and bought a 14000 after I posted this didn't you!

I've been using the old FA's for years, can't wear'em out but I do upgrade all my Shimano's with Carbontex drag washers before they're mounted on a rod - increases drag 30 %.

Rick, I don't fight a fish using that much drag, just use it to stop a hard running fish before he spools you ... with my knees locked in against the boat ... holding on with the rod tip pointed at'em. If I stop'em I ease off the drag to fight'em or my little skinny ass would go overboard.

picture240.jpg

I just grab the spool to get more drag. Im sure you have done that before. I had to do it with that Cobia I just caught.

Tried that with Baitrunner 6500's drag locked down, pizzed off monster snook on the other end. Doesn't work so well when they are five feet from pillings. The drag locked down on a 14000 Spheros works really well in that situation.

Rick, when the water hits 85 ish' + down here I can show you some snook fishing you'll never forget. (Cut bait, 65 power pro, 80 pound leader, 8/0 circles) Your welcome to come fishing me anytime.

:605_thumbs_up:

I just grab the spool to get more drag. Im sure you have done that before. I had to do it with that Cobia I just caught.

Ever think about going to Carbontex drag washers or the next size larger reel? Conventional reels shouldn't be thumbed or spinners palmed for more drag. On the other hand ... Fly reels have to be palmed because they don't have drag capabilities but it takes a while to get it down right for working large fish.

My daughter dosen't do too bad with a fly rod.

m10gh7.jpg

,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Nevermind.

Hey Rick ,

Don't get me wrong on the Pflueger Medalist reels, a 6070 might work for me for line capacity but 26 oz unspooled is a little more weight than I'm looking for. Do you happen to know where I can find drag specs on these reels? I can't find them anywhere ... not even on the Pflueger site.

Thanks

Red

Hey Rick ,

Don't get me wrong on the Pflueger Medalist reels, a 6070 might work for me for line capacity but 26 oz unspooled is a little more weight than I'm looking for. Do you happen to know where I can find drag specs on these reels? I can't find them anywhere ... not even on the Pflueger site.

Thanks

Red

Red, I can't find the drag specs for the Medalists either, my guess would be around 25 pounds. I'll shoot an e-mail to Pflueger and find out. BTW, 26 ounces is about the exact same as the 14000 Spheros.