Welcome to the Reel Boating Forum.
From Trailer Boaters to Captains to Marine Industry Professionals, the Reel Boating Forum welcomes you to join in with other boaters and fishermen discussing topics including sportfishing, marine electronics, boating safety, boat engines and more.
Use our FREE boat classifieds to sell your boat or fishing gear.
Marine Industry Vendors are also welcome to register a username and freely post their products or services

Giving Advice/direction To Other Boaters

The anchor thread got me thinking.

Have you even see another boater doing something that won't work out on the water and want to shout out some advice or, after everything has settled down, go across and give a suggestion or two?

There are plenty of times that I have seen guys try to put out a bow anchor and go stern in to a sandbar, or attempt to put out a stern anchor to hold the boat overnight in one direction, etc. and are simply setting everything up wrong to be successful.

While I lend a hand if a guy needs someone to throw a line to at the slip or dock, or stand in the shallow and take an anchor to the beach and dig it in, I am always hesitant to start shouting out instructions, especially if he has a boat full.

Thing is the guy may be a new boater and want the help, but how do you do this without risking totally P'ing someone off?

Is simply being there to lend a hand when asked, or volunteering to catch lines etc. the best we can do?

Only time I ever get involved is when I see a real safety threat, most of those times it's kids with their legs thrown out over the bow when underway and at speed. Then I radio across and just say in an even voice that they may not be aware that their kids are doing that and they need to get them inboard for safety, and in case the FWC see them because they will be written up.

......i just mind my own business. honestly, i try at all costs to avoid boating on weekends just to avoid those situations.

if i do find myself at the sandbar and someone is struggling to anchor up or lack the proper equipment to anchor up in that situation and can possibly impact the well being of my boat......then yes, they will receive all kinds of friendly advice. :605_thumbs_up:

Most of the time I don't necessarily think they are being boneheaded.

Case in point. At the local sandbar, if you want to go stern in to the beach with a bow anchor out as well, you really need to do it at slack tide/current, especially at springs. The current really rips through there. I see guys trying to do this when there is a good current and they line up directly out from where they want their stern. Throw out the bow anchor and then start to go straight in. That's when all hell breaks loose, especially when there are already other boats set up.

I want to tell them to just anchor off the sand and wait until the top or bottom of the tide, or throw out the anchor and then start your stern well up current to let it bring you back to where you want to be. Tough conversation to start though, you never know when you have the weekend warrior who isn't at the listening stage!

on some sandbars in this area, stern to is the method of choice because stern out will put you in too deep of water to use the swim platform/ladder. also, if exposed to boats wakes or ocean sells stern to is the only safe way to anchor up to a beach.

my method.........maneuver the boat stern to the sandbar about 30 yds out. drop the main hook, and back aggressively towards the sandbar. have the stern hook at the ready. as the depth rises to about 2 ft shut off and raise the motor letting the momentum of the boat carry you backwards. toss the stern as far as you can at the beach and tie off the bow. jump in the water and make sure the stern anchor is well set in the sand. use the windlass/bow anchor to adjust position and depth.

I have found the best bet is to keep my mouth shut.

"Hey buddy, you might want to clear that dock line your towing behind your transom."

Line in prop 5 mintues later

"Do you know your fishing (anchored) right in the middle of the narrow channel dead center of the pass?"

ticket from sherriff, for undersized fish, pfds, etc

"Hey your bildge pump has been running the last ten mintues since I've been behind you."

call for assistance about five mintues later, sinking, no plug

"Your waterline looks low, do you have water in your bildge?"

sank at the dock, bad bilge pump

"Your anchored in a busy pass in a 12 foot johnboat with the anchor tied to your beam"

swamped by large sportfish 1 hour later

"You can't operate your boat in the no vessel zone (swimming area) off the beach"

ticket

Just a few examples in the past few months, all responses were less than cordial.

The flip side of this is someone shouting out to you that you're doing something wrong (or so they think).

Last year, the wife and I were anchored in the bay in the evening, fishing and waiting for sunset.

At least five passing boats shout over "your nav lights are are out". We were well outside the channel and I 'm thinking wtf and politely respond "I'm anchored, my anchor light is on" :753_hammer_hitting_head:

I usually shake my head and give them a wide berth.

For some reason the real boneheads seem to have a tough time taking good advice, no matter how subtly or kindly it is given.

I figure the coasties can give them a not so subtle reminder.

I agree. I get tired of beating my head against the wall. I just TRY to mind my own business.