Welcome to the Reel Boating Forum.
From Trailer Boaters to Captains to Marine Industry Professionals, the Reel Boating Forum welcomes you to join in with other boaters and fishermen discussing topics including sportfishing, marine electronics, boating safety, boat engines and more.
Use our FREE boat classifieds to sell your boat or fishing gear.
Marine Industry Vendors are also welcome to register a username and freely post their products or services

Another Mildew Thread

I've done the searches and tried it all. I've tried Starbrite, mineral spirits, soft scrub with bleach, and plain old soap. Nothing is removing the bolster mildew from this past winter. Any other suggestions. I found a concoction from a web search that had a fairly weak solution of ammonia and hydrogen peroxide, but I haven't tried that yet. Has anyone tried that or are there any other suggestions on getting rid of this stuff? Removing the bolster cushions is not easy on my boat, but next year they're coming off.

In Florida nothing works for long. My wife fights the good battle all year long. The seats continue to have a nice grey color.

Just something you have to live with - like cockroaches!

We don't usually have the problem in Hawaii, in spite of the weather being somewhat similar to Florida, but without the high humidity. Last week, the current owner of my Stamas 29 had me look at a poblem he was having with the boat and I crawled into the bilge. It had been a Florida boat, but 5 years ago, the bilge was bright and sparking white after I cleaned and detailed it. But I was stunned to see that it looked like somebody had taken flat black spray paint to it. Everywhere I looked, the surfaces, hoses and wires were the same charcoal grey. My Venture 34 has been here about a year and was also a Florida boat. It had been stored under cover, so there was very little mildew on it, but I'm not looking forward to the spread.

The big difference is that I always kept a fitted boat cover on the Stamas when I owned it. The new owner uses it for charters, so it is out almost every day and the cover has not been on it for a long time. I know mold likes humidity, so I am hoping that storing my Venture in the garage will prevent the problem, but am sure looking for hints and suggestions on how to slow it down.